Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about tomato seeds started in milk jugs

Posted by joellenh 6b Jenks (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 25, 10 at 20:07

Someone here (Soonergrandma)? Gave me very good directions on sowing saved tomato seed outside in milk jugs.

However I have a couple of questions.

#1 can I plant a few seeds per 2 gallon milk jug? Because I did. I put 5 seeds in each. Mistake? So far I only have 5 jugs and soooo many tomatoes I want to try to grow this fall, so I seeded one variety, but multiple seeds, per jug. (for example I put 5 Juan Flammee in one jug, 5 Cherokee Purple in another jug, etc).

#2 she said:
"When they get their first real leaves, you can transplant to cups or pots until you are ready to put them in the ground" (I copied her instructions to a word doc so I cannot find the original post).

Can I just put them in little plastic Dixie cups with drainage holes until ready to go into the ground or do I need something better?

Thanks!

Jo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about tomato seeds started in milk jugs

You did right and you can put multiple seeds in each jug. The closed jug is for germination only, so after they come up you can open up the jug. Young tomato seedlings will get leggy if they don't get enough light, but the outside light available to them is much greater than what you could provide through artifical means although it is in shade. Because of the hot weather, that jug will overheat easily so it will need to be open as soon as you have germination, but it will also need to be watered frequently. You can transplant them as soon as you can handle them easily, but I normally wait until they have real leaves so I can hold them by the leaf, and not take a chance of crushing the tender stem.

Yes you can put them in Dixie cups with drainage holes for a few weeks.

o

Thank you so much! You will make an expert out of me yet. :)

o

Joellenh,
Did you just plant some seeds for a fall crop? I was just wondering bcz I was going to but thought it was too late.
Thanks,
mspriggs

o

It is pretty late to start seeds for a fall tomato crop if that's what y'all are doing.

The OSU-recommended planting dates for fall tomato PLANTS are July 1st through July 15th, with the earlier date being more appropriate the further north you are and the later date being more appropriate the further south you are.

When you are starting tomatoes from seed, you need to start 6 to 8 weeks before your targeted transplant date.

Fall tomatoes are very iffy even in the best of circumstances since an early frost can wipe them out in the blink of any eye. You must plant them on time to have the best chance of ripening fruit before the freezing weather arrives.

Don't know the date of your average first freeze of fall?

Check the linked map from the OCS, and remember that half the time your first freeze will fall before the average date and half the time it will occur after that average date.

Here is a link that might be useful: OCS Average First Freeze of Autumn

o

Well, poop. I thought I read that I could start SEEDS through mid July.

Okay, no fall tomatoes for me this year. (Crying).

o

Look at it this way - you have more time to collect milk jugs for next year!

(Hi Jo!)

o

Joellen,

Don't be silly. You have tomato plants growing now? Root cuttings now and you can plant them before mid-July. It is the easiest thing on earth to do.

Dawn

o

I am rooting some cuttings in glasses of water on my kitchen window sill. I think I will go take some more!

o

See there. Problem solved.

Some stores get fall tomatoes in during the very end of June or early July---at least they do down here, but sometimes they arrive later than the recommended planting dates. I never count on them, but sometimes I'll pick up one or two if they are healthy and I have space for them.

o

I got all anxious to try Remy's seeds..now they will have to wait until spring.

However, I have 10 or 12 cuttings now popped into water, so we'll see what they do.

If my current tomatoes live through the summer, will they keep producing in the fall? Funny, that never occurred to me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here