Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

How 'bout we top off with one more round of storms?

scottokla
9 years ago

Looks like the best rain yet for the panhandle! I hope we all get what we need tonight. I want 3 inches, but will settle for another 1.5. It looks promising!

Comments (15)

• elkwc
    9 years ago

Scott the rain hit here about ten minutes ago. Has been real heavy at times and then it will let up and hit again. I was trying to do some planting and finally decided I had better quit and put some cages and straw around some of the bigger plants. I finally gave up after I looked like a drowned rat, the rain, hail and lightning along with the winds hit. We have had two short rounds of smaller hail. Don't think it has hurt much yet. Hopefully we will get another good one. After missing us the last two nights I started the drip tape to watering what I planted and transplanted. I will go out after it quits and turn it off. I had one row left to work and got it rototilled with the Troy Bilt anteater. So tomorrow if my heirloom okra seeds from Leedey arrive I can plant them. I went to Guymon today. Hard to believe how green it is. Hope everyone gets a soaking tonight. Jay

• scottokla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Texas panhandle has a pretty strong bow echo zipping across. I hope both of their trees survive!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

I hope this round hangs out west for awhile.

Mike

• elkwc
    9 years ago

Scott there was moderate winds when the storm hit and they lasted maybe 15 minutes. It rained over an hour. I checked after 30 minutes and we had 7 tenths. I expect we got somewhere around 9 tenths to an inch total. The 7 tenths put us at 5.2 for the last two weeks. The rain has even helped the attitudes around here. Jay

• scottokla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jay, I was hoping you would get more than that. It looks like the entire panhandle from Black Mesa all the way to east will get a good rain this time. Woodward has missed out on the best rains but it looks promising for them at the moment also.

• lcdollar
    9 years ago

I'm very concerned about Canton Lake.

Even with the rain the NW got this past weekend, the lake only rose two tenths of a foot.

I read that OKC Water Dept officials are not counting on the North Canadian River to provide much water for OKC in the future, they have turned to Southeast Oklahoma and are planning to add another pipeline from Atoka Lake to OKC.

The droughts in the 30's and 50's did not last forever, gotta hope that this weather pattern we are in now, is not permanent. Else Canton Lake will probably become another Optima Lake, a lake without water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canton Lake water levels from Corp of Engineers

• TotemWolf
    9 years ago

Lake Lugert-Altus is even lower than Canton. It was down to 8% last week. The rains in Tx panhandle will help some but it will take many years to refill it, if it ever does.

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Scottokla - I think one of the trees blew down.....LOL!! Actually, there was quite a bit of tree damage about 2 1/2 miles from the house. Looked like a big giant slammed his fist into trees on both sides of the road down in the draw and really did a number on them.

Glad our good neighbors in Oklahoma are getting some moisture, also. We had 9/10" last night and 6/10" Saturday night. I haven't added up what we have received all together in the last 3 weeks, but it has been wonderful. Our front pasture has beautiful GREEN GRASS - very short because it has been grazed down so hard - but green!

I haven't heard how much rain fell up along the Canadian River watershed. Hopefully it will help both of us who need water added our lakes. I know Lake Meredith is still so low that water for area towns cannot be pumped out of it. I remember when it was 90'+ deep and a really good lake for lots of activities as well as water supply. I'm not sure it will ever fill to that level again - at least during my lifetime.

Mary

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

I worry about the lakes too. It takes such a massively rainy year, like 2007 for example, to really fill them back up to capacity fairly quickly (in months, not years). I think some lakes in TX and OK may never return to the lake levels we all remember from previous decades.

A lot of our aquifers are the same way, but since they are underground, no one can see them and that makes it harder to convince people that the aquifers may be in trouble too. The quick solution when your well is running dry is to drill a deeper well, but that's just a solution to having water now. It does nothing to guarantee the aquifers will not keep shrinking.

I've never been one to waste water, but I am so much more conservative now with how I use it and how much I use than I was 10-20 years ago.

• osuengineer
    9 years ago

Got 1/10" last night. At my house in Canadian County I only received 2.3" total. That is a bit of a let down considering the forecasters were saying 3"-4", but it's better than nothing.

• elkwc
    9 years ago

I got lucky in the last post when I stated 9 tenths. That is what I emptied this morning. I talked to several from a wide area of the OK Panhandle and SW KS today. The range was mainly between 5-9 tenths last night. The reason the totals were limited was because the storm was moving so fast. My fiancee received .55 in Leedey also. I heard Perryton, TX had around a half an inch. My coworker who I share an office with lives in Boise City and he had 9 tenths. The good part of this was that it reached from southern NE all the way across KS, the OK Panhandle and a good portion of the TX Panhandle. So a wide area got at least some. Instead of the spotty rains we've seen some of. They are giving us continued chances throughout the week and into next week. Don Day an independent forecaster who hits it best for our area especially long term said he is watching another possible event down the road. I hope it develops and this trend continues. The cool weather is nice also. This time last year it was in the 100's with high winds. We had the winds today. Over 50 mph but at least no dirt blowing. Very cool today. I'm heading out to finalize some planting. Hopefully I'll finish by tomorrow. Jay

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Jay, we live south of Amarillo and we received 1.05" rain from the two storms that came over last night. We had received .6" on Saturday night. We have been blessed. Hope all of us continue to receive this wonderful moisture. I think we only reached 71 or 72F today and had the wind from the north, also.
    Mary

• scottokla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys should see how beautiful Wyoming, South Dakota, and Nebraska are right now. Those guys have been taking all the precipitation for the last few months and not leaving us with any. I'm glad southern Nebraska down through Texas have been fortunate this time. Not so pretty for that stretch of our trip.

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

We did have great rain again last night.
    It hailed for about 2 minutes which was long enough to wake me and make me pray ...no hail. Then I laid awake for an hour wondering.
    Well the garden is in great shape but we did lose one tree at the slaughterhouse property, I guess it made the news LOL. It was a peach and was loaded but apparently there were some strong winds in town. I am going to get the rest caged with t posts like they were before.
    loving the rain and cool breezes here too.
    kim

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Woot! I cannot believe it rained again this morning with almost 3/4". We've received more than 5.5" of rain over the course of the last two weeks all in a good manner.

too bad it cannot be like this all the time.

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County