Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvncannin

My favorite little bed

luvncannin
9 years ago

I love this little space in my yard. It was a thrown together raised bed last year and this year I planted potatoes in it, they never came up. So I replanted with carrots, swiss chard and half of it was onions . Mostly the onions did great while everything else stalled. Then after the first rain it went wild all sorts of stuff from last year had reseeded in there and maybe from compost. Anyway I just love it. There are marigolds, carrots, chard, zinnias, 1 Early girl, some sort of squash and who knows what else.
And I think we might get some more rain.
kim

Comments (9)

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

That's beautiful to me. Beautiful and edible and jamb packed with growies. Love it!

• greenveggielover
    9 years ago

That's another perfect example of Mother Nature making things beautiful on her own. Enjoy it!

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    9 years ago

Love it!

• luvncannin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks yall. this is how I like to garden kinda messy with surprises. I love when something pops up that I was not expecting.
    The seeds from My purple and white hyacinth I had in a pot last year are popping up everywhere. when I come across it I water and stick a piece of my lovely bamboo in the ground. In a few weeks I will have 6' blooming poles all over the place.
    kim

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Kim, That's so pretty and it is exactly how I garden too, with all kinds of stuff mixed in together. In our early years here, my planting style drove one of our neighbors, who I will affectionately refer to as "an old farmer" insane. He kept telling me that he couldn't believe I would grow "those weeds" in my vegetable garden, asking me "what good are they? you cannot eat them". He gardened with a tractor, with perfect straight rows widely space, with lots of bare ground in between the rows of plants, so I could understand why my jam-packed raised beds of mixed plantings drove him nuts because it was the exact opposite of how he farmed. He, in turn, drove me nuts, constantly urging me to rip out all "those weeds". I kept telling him that he was a farmer and I was a gardener and I wouldn't tell him how to farm if he wouldn't tell me how to garden. That went in one ear and out the other, so for as long as he lived here in our neighborhood, I had to listen to his constant suggestions that I fix everything he thought was wrong with my "weed-infested garden". And, for anyone wondering, no, the old farmer was not Fred. Fred always has been enormously supportive of my oddball ways of growing things.

I love hyacinth bean vines and they do pop up all over the place from seeds that fall to the ground. One year I grew the purple hyacinth beans on the east garden fence. Right next to the fence I was growing broomcorn that got 12-14' tall by early August. The hyacinth bean vines climbed to the top of the broom corn and then the broom corn plants began bending back down to the ground. It was the most beautiful sight and literally stopped traffic because people driving by wanted to know if "that blooming plant" was a wisteria that was blooming in August. I cannot think of another annual vine that gives you so many gorgeous flowers. The white one does not reseed as vigorously for me, but I still have an occasional white one pop up in a lawn area west of the garden fence, presumably from seed from a planting there around 2006 or so. If you dig a hole to plant a tree, the tree will grow just fine but soon will find itself accompanied by a white hyacinth bean vine. Since it is a lawn area, those vines get mowed down before they can grow, so the seed that is sprouting has to be from long ago. I'm surprised it has lasted so long. Tim was digging in that area about a month ago and now there is the familiar foliage of a hyacinth bean vine plant growing in the area where he had dug up the soil. There's also about a million bindweed plants sprouting, so I'm not happy about them.

Dawn

• luvncannin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

People here do not understand or agree either and several have made suggestions how to fix it. One lady asked "well does that stuff really like to be so crammed in like that?"
    I just said apparently so it seems pretty happy to me. Besides a few grasses and a couple lambsquarters I have no weeds to worry about. Since I pulled all the onions I have over 1/3 of that bed to replant.
    I have many different melon/squash type plants that have reseeded this year and have no clue but many of them are blooming so hope fully will find out soon. I absolutely love this way of gardening just wish it was on my own 10 acres somewhere in the middle of no where.
    When I leave here I have to till the yard and plant grass, but the seeds will still be there waiting...
    kim

• luvncannin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a set of earrings and a necklace my daughter made for me. Funny huh. I'll be wearing them to the next garden party
    kim

• luvncannin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another question. Should I pick or prune off some of these peaches? This little tree seems overloaded.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths