Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freckled Child Tomatoes

Posted by piscesfish 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 21:36

Hi everyone,

Lynn brought these great tomatoes to the swap this year, but my plant hasn't set a single fruit. It might just be my weather/ growing conditions. How is everyone else's Freckled Children doing?

Kelly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freckled Child Tomatoes

Mine has not bloomed...and it was the first one to get the dreaded spider mites...so, I've insecticidal-soaped it and I'm hoping for the best!

Sharon

o

It has a few blooms but that's it, no fruit set yet. But so far the only fruit set on my tomatoes has been on Mountain Magic, Green Zebra, Sweet 100, and Sun Sugar. It kept wilting until I got it in the ground and I was worried it wouldn't make it, but once it recovered it has done fine.

Suzie

o

Mine is about 4' tall and has a handful of blooms on it, but none of them have set fruit yet and it appears this plant has heat-induced blossom drop.

Most of my tomato plants have set fruit, but none of the last batch (which includes Freckled Child), which were planted a day or two after the Spring Fling, have set fruit yet. It got so hot so early that the late-planted batch may struggle with blossom drop whereas the plants that went into the ground earlier were blooming and setting fruit before the current heat wave arrived. Those earlier plants are not setting a lot of fruit right now either, but at least they do have the fruit that set earlier.

Having early July type temperatures arrive in late May and early June are just about a worst case scenario for tomato plants. Even in a normal year, tomato plants are racing the high temps---hopefully managing to get good fruit set before the temperatures reach the danger zone. When the heat arrives early, we have to hope for an occasional cool break in the temps so that fruit can set during those times.

Dawn

o

I have been looking for a source for the Tomato 'Freckled Child' and I was hoping someone could help me find somewhere to buy or trade for some?

Thanks!
~Wendy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here