Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wulfletons

Question for those of you that have used EcoBran

wulfletons
10 years ago

Okay, so I'm not proud of anything I'm about to post, but I'm hoping for some help anyway :)

The recent storms left most of my garden intact, but really, really did a number on my tomatillos and okra. I'm down to one big, healthy tomatillo and several scrawny sapling sized tomatillos (and since they don't self pollinate, one tomatillo isn't going to do me a bit of good), and I have 4 or 5 small, scraggly okra plants. These are both fairly important veggies for us, so I've been babying those suckers like crazy.

The last two days, I've noticed that the baby grasshoppers are munching down on the small tomatillos and okra. I went to three nurseries today to try to find transplants, thinking that if I had more plants I could afford grasshopper damage. No one had either okra or tomatillo transplants. The grasshoppers aren't going to go away...my garden fence backs up to a vacant house with a very weedy acre yard. I don't have chickens, and while we are considering getting chickens eventually, getting them today was not an option.

SO, today I sprayed the leaves of the tiny, sad tomatillos and the tiny sad okra with some Sevin to buy some time, and I'm going to order some Ecobran. I've read several threads about it, but I am wondering exactly how those of you who have used it applied it. Did you sprinkle it around the garden perimeter just on top of the dirt? Did you sprinkle it over your mulch? I don't have access to the offending lot, so I can't use a spreader to apply it over there.

Thanks so much, and please don't judge me too harshly...it's just really, really hard to find okra and tomatillo in our local grocery store.

Krista

Comments (7)

• Erod1
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Heres another thread on this.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/okgard/msg061103012953.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread

• Pamchesbay
    10 years ago

Hi Krista:

I don't know where in OK you live but I usually direct sow okra in June (I live in SE VA - hot and humid). Okra is a heat lover. It produces heavily from summer and into late fall unless we have a hurricane or tropical storm that knocks the big plants down. That happens often so I try to harvest okra early so I can freeze a bunch before the tropical storms roll through.

Dawn posted a link to very helpful germination chart that uses soil temperature to decide when to plant which vegetable. The best soil temp for growing okra from seed is 86F (88% germination in 7 days) although you'll do okay if soil temps are between 77F (92% germination in 13 days) and 95F (85% germination in 6 days). Be sure to soak the seeds for at least 12 hrs before you sow. Depending on variety, you can begin to harvest 50-65 days after you sow seed. It's HOT in late July and August.

One thing - try to find seed for spineless okra - the velvets - like Emerald Velvet okra - are better than Clemson Spineless (which isn't spineless!)

I havent grown tomatillos yet. Want to, but I''m running out of time and garden space.

Good luck!
    Pam

• Erod1
    10 years ago

I used sevin dust 2 years out of 12 and i dont regret it. I would use it again. My plants were getting destroyed by various and sundry bugs and worms.

Please be mindful of the cutoff dates before harvest though if you have to continue using it. I think there is a guide on the bottle.

As for the grasshopper bait, i agree with dawn, wear gloves and honestly, if it were me, i might even wear a mask. I dont know if it puts off any dust or not but i wouldnt want to breath it.

I wish i knew about this product a few years ago, i would have used it when i was getting overrun with grasshoppers eating everything in sight. I am saving the name of the stuff in my garden notes for next time, and there will definitely be a next time, as Dawn said, it comes in cycles.

Let me know how it works, ok?

Emma

• elkwc
    10 years ago

EcoBran has worked for me the few times I've used it. I use it very often. I usually don't have many problems in the main garden. Knock on wood. Because since I posted that this year I might. I did use it on two remote areas where I was trying to grow two bean varieties that I didn't want to cross pollinate last season. I waited till late to plant them. The hoppers would eat them while they were young. I just sprinkled on the grass and a few weeds at the edge of the area where the beans were planted. It did slow them down a bunch. The issue is it won't get all before they find your plants. And on a young seedling that is tender and hasn't been through the ground long it only takes one hopper to end it's life in a hurry. But it does work. I just sprinkle it directly out of the plastic container. Again I probably use it once every 3-4 years. Jay

• wulfletons
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Emma, I definitely jotted the harvest dates. I ordered the ecobran yesterday and will let everyone know how it works. I have asthma, so I wear a mask with any chemicals.
    Pam I think I sowed the okra on mothers day. The seedlings got pummeled by the storms, but I staked them a bit and if they don't get eaten I think I will end up with four plants, and that should be enough for a couple of pans of fried okra, which will keep me happy. We eat a lot of tomatillos, so I was hoping for a large harvest. We will see.
    Jay and dawn, thanks for sharing your experiences! I have sprayed some round up between the raised beds (Bermuda is awful!), so I am not totally organic, but I sure hate messing with the insect Eco system. Turns out I hate losing my okra even more.
    I hope everyone stays cool today!
    Krista

• HU-708108262
    2 years ago

We have a great colony of bees that love our garden. We have the grasshopper issue as well. Will these ideas be it the organic or seven dust harm the bees?

My husband tries extremely hard not to effect the bees, due to the reduced number.