Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borderokie

sunflowers

borderokie
10 years ago

I did not realize that sunflowers follow the sun. I planted them in a bed facing a north highway.
Every time I go out there they are facing away from the highway.The back of the bed faces the pasture so no one can really enjoy them there. Oh well guess the birds will still be happy.

Comments (5)

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Sheila, I would not worry too much about the sunflowers, they may be like some people. The back of their heads are the prettiest thing about them.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

lol lol lol

Most good sunflowers follow the sun. I've notices that some of the fancier hybrids seem to have lost their ability to follow it. I guess that is what modern breeding gives us sometimes. To me, a sunflower that doesn't follow the sun just isn't a sunflower.

• susanlynne48
    10 years ago

The sunflowers that grow in my garden are originally from Bird seed volunteers. No, they don't have huge flowers like the named cultivars, nor are they the most striking. They produce multiple branches and are tall - about 8' at least.

The birds love the seeds and the cover they provide. It's entertaining to watch them hopping thru the branches, talking to each other like mad. The Carolina wrens cover the ground looking for dropped seeds. The Finches, both House and Goldfinches, love the free buffet. The hummingbirds hang out for long periods of time, dining on the tiny insects drawn to the Sunflowers, to add protein to their diet. Honeybees, among other bees, happily swarm the flowers, too. The flowers attract cucumber beetles, keeping them off the veggies. The butterflies nectar on them and they attract hoards of migrating Monarchs in fall. They also serve as larval host plants for Silvery Checkerspots, Gorgone Checkerspots, and Bordered Patch butterflies.

To say these are valuable wildlife plants is too subtle - they are SUPER FANTASMAGORICAL!!!!!!!

And, yes, they do follow the sun.......

Susan

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol Larry!!!! That was not nice!!!!

Susan I can tell you like them!!! I think they say country!They make me smile!!So do gerbera's don't know why.

• helenh
    10 years ago

I have done the same thing with morning glories - planted them so they face the cows in the morning and no humans see them.