Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shankins123_gw

Revisiting the yellow tomato leaves...with pictures!

shankins123
10 years ago

I'm going to post one picture with this posting because I don't know how to do multiples!! So...they'll be separate - sorry!
The picture associated with this posting is of Matina, a potato-leaf tomato. On Saturday, it had absolutely NO yellow leaves! Look at it today :( There are no spider mites - just very bright yellow leaves, starting at the base, just like all the others, sort of.
The picture labeled Royal Hillbilly shows at least a week's worth of the progression.
The picture labeled Delicious shows what happens near the end. The leaves yellow, the stem yellows, the leaves completely wither to dry, dusty gray, then the whole leaf stem dies and falls off.
Friday I sprayed with a 3in1 spray because I had noticed small amounts of spider mite evidence on a couple of plants. I soaked over and under each one of my 14 plants.
The mulch I'm using is cottonseed hulls. I water underneath that with soaker hoses. I've done that only twice because we've had enough rain up to this point.
Most of my plants are in the 3-4ft. range and the top growth (new growth) is all happy and healthy.

What do you guys think this is? I've already decided to move my tomatoes to my other smallish beds next year (4X4 grow boxes connected 2 at a time to make 2 separate rectangles...soaker hoses are gonna be a pain there!), but I'd really like to know what I"m dealing with here.

Sharon

Comments (6)

• ScottOkieman
    10 years ago

It's not at all unusual for the lower leaves of tomato plants to turn yellow and then wither. This is especially true after really wet periods. If the rest of the plant appears to be healthy and growing, then I would not be too concerned about it. If the upper portion of the plants begin to turn yellow and die then yeah you have a serious issue.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Sharon,

I answered in detail on the thread with the photo of the Delicious tomato because I saw that thread first,so won't repeat it all here. I basically agree with Scott about the yellowing of older leaves. It is common. However, if it keeps progressing rapidly to upper foliage then I think there is some disease issue going on, but not anything I recognize from having dealt with it in the past.

Was the 3-in-1 product you used neem? If so, I don't know if it is enough to halt the progression of the yellow leaves if they are symptoms of a disease in addition to the typical yellowing of aging leaves.

Dawn

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

I read Dawn's post on your other thread, too, Sharon. I'm pretty near you in the city, and have received about the same amount of rainfall (let's call it "copious," shall we?) I watered my vegetable garden for the first time this year last night with soaker hoses - the rain had been doing the job thus far but Sunday night I noticed the leaves were "sweating" quite a bit - every time I brushed past they got my arm wet, and they was a bit of curling on the leaves, so I gave them an hour of soaker.

My plants do not look like yours with the yellowing, but I think it might be because of the "raised row" (not quite raised beds, but not flat either) configuration I have - excess water seems to drain off fairly well and nothing has been too wet to work even a few days after a lot of the rain. I would bet it's excessive rainfall that has just pooled in the root system because they are planted on flat ground.

It looks like you have plenty of air circulation around your plants (mine a quite mashed together) so I think they will recover. Fingers crossed for you!

• shankins123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts - my beds, too, are slightly raised and drain very well - that should not be the problem.
    The 3-in- I used was a miticide, a fungicide, and an insecticide - I'm at work right now, but I think it was a Bonide-brand sulphur/pyrethrin-type thing - not sure at the moment.
    Larry....the "cracking" you see in one of the pics is actually where my mulch shifted along the line of my (underneath) soaker hose.
    I do understand the natural aging of the leaves. I think I have something else (a combination of "somethings" else!) going on because I've never seen such a bright yellow like this (and at first it's not on a withering leaf; the leaf is whole and turgid), and because it came on my Matina SO quickly AND....because it's just marching right up the plants.
    SO...I'll probably fertilize with a water-soluble fertilizer, spray again in a day or two, and then try to take some leaves and/or pics to my extension office on Friday when I'm off...thanks for the help again, people :-)

Sharon

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Sharon, In my garden, very bright yellow foliage often signals the "other" form of powdery mildew----the form whose scientific name starts with an "l" and not an "o". Sometimes my plants get hit by that when we have heavy rain for several weeks in a row. If the rain stops abruptly, and the foliage is able to finally dry off, I can stop its progression pretty quickly by removing the early affected leaves and spraying with a fungicide. If I cannot or do not stop it quickly, it moves upward in a erratic pattern.....not moving up straight from bottom to top like aging foliage does, but rather moving up or showing up like popcorn popping randomly here and there.

The very first time I had this form of powdery mildew on tomatoes, it took me a long time to figure out what it was because my plants didn't have the white fungal patches associated with the other form of powdery mildew. I think the TAMU Tomato Problem Solver has this less common form of powdery mildew on their leaf page. If they don't, the Cornell Vegetable MD Online website has it.

I hope you get to the bottom of what it is before it can spread to all your plants. I

Dawn

• shankins123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That may be it - there are a couple of plants that would start out at the bottom, and then randomly have a leaflet and then whole leaf just "go" farther up.
    I'm going out there this evening to trim off everything affected, spray again, and hope for the best. In the brief time I was able to be out last evening, I noticed that some of the plants were putting out growth right at the axil of an infected leaf - that tells me that this is not a systemic problem and that there's hope! (I hope I'm right on that).
    Should I continue with the 3-in-1 spray, or is there something else I should be doing? I'm also glad for the hotter, drier weather, too.

We'll see...Sharon

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations