Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Green Shoulders?

chickencoupe
9 years ago

Sorry to bug but I don't even know what to expect from the tomato, much less any deformities. But I keep reading and this looks like green shoulder?

(These are black mauri tomatoes)

Comments (5)

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

I don't know anything about your type of tomato, but I would let it sit and ripen a few days.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

There's different kinds of green shoulders.

Many of the black tomato varieties have naturally green shoulders that never really color up (at least in our climate they don't, especially in the hottest summers). For Black Moor, which has many names, the green shoulders are pretty normal. Black Krim is more or less the same way.

Unfortunately, our heat often causes green shoulders to stay green in many varieties of tomatoes, and not just in the black varieties that tend to have green shoulders naturally. I think that the surface tomato temperatures have to hit the upper 80s in order to cause the sort of uneven ripening that manifests itself as green shoulders or yellow shoulders. It also can happen if the tomato fruit are too exposed to direct sunlight. It also can be caused by low potassium levels. Some forms of stress can interfere in tomatoes ripening properly, including excessive heat for a prolonged period of time, or excessive rainfall.

The tomato in your photo does not necessarily look fully ripe to me, but I've never grown Black Moor so I'm just basing that on how green the seeds still look inside the fruit. Try letting the next fruit sit and ripen a couple more days before you cut into it and see if it loses more of the green and ripens up better inside. Anytime you grow a black tomato variety that is new to you, it will take trial and error and taste tests with the fruit at various shades of color for you to learn what is normal for that specific variety in our hot weather. Normally tomatoes ripen from the inside out, so that by the time they look ripe on the outside, the flesh is ripe on the inside. However, stressful growing conditions can cause cherry tomatoes to ripen from the outside in so that when you cut into them even though they look ripe on the outside, they may be unripe on the inside.

The very first time I grew a black tomato variety (and the same was true with my first purple variety too), I didn't know by looking at the fruit if it was ripe enough to pick yet, and I left the first few black tomatoes on the plant too long. I learned to judge their ripeness by touch rather than by looking at them. A ripe tomato will feel soft, not hard (but also not so soft that it is mushy and overripe) and that helps you known when to harvest them or eat them, whether the shoulders stay green or not. If you discover that you have green shoulders that stay green even though the fruit is soft and seems ripe, just cut the green part away and discard it.

If you look at photos of Black Moor fruit, yours look true to type, green shoulders and all, but I do think they need to ripen a few more days as they have a little too much green.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It does look like it's just not ripe, doesn't it? So many different variables. I have reason to believe it was stressed -especially this first group including these. without documentation I'm safely assuming they were on the vine for a very long time in accordance to the seemingly quick growth and ripening of the next batch. I'm actually surprised these made it.

I didn't water near enough in the beginning.

Dawn, I appreciate you speculating. It's worth it, because I am absolutely SOLD on the flavor of this one - and probably many other "black" tomatoes to come. These are so tiny, though. Like I suspected (from reading and suggestions) this variety has a tone that is perfect for ... well, frying up like I'm doing here.

These are sweet and low in acidity. I look joyfully toward trying out many different varieties in the future. This variety is heading back to the garden for fall production with three times as many plants. They're small, but it's a prolific indeterminate.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Blacks are my favorite tomatoes. The black varieties that are good are so good that it is almost indescribable. If I don't have at least six black varieties on my grow list every year, I get panicky and start worrying I didn't plant enough black tomatoes.

One year I gave some black tomato fruit to a friend, who seemed suspicious that I was giving him rotten tomatoes, but he took them home, ate them and liked them. Then I gave some to another friend. Same result. That friend couldn't even get his kids and grandkids to try them because they thought they looked rotten and he said "OK, that leaves more for me." The funny thing was that when Friend #1 learned I had given black tomatoes to Friend #2, he became worried he wouldn't get any more black tomatoes and told me I should only give my extra black tomatoes to him and not give any to anybody else. It made me laugh. I grow enough black tomatoes for everyone, and he never made that sort of comment about any of the other colors of tomatoes.

Many black tomatoes have a very complex flavor, and it is hard to describe it to people who think all tomatoes taste like red tomatoes and they all taste the same. I simply say that different tomato varieties have unique flavor just like different wine vintages are unique.

Every time I think I have found all the "best" flavored black tomatoes, I try a variety that is new to me and that I simply adore. I'd be perfectly happy to grow only black tomatoes, but I grow them in all colors. My favorite black tomato variety this year is Brad's Black Heart. It produces fruit that are huge, and thick and meaty and yet juicy and just so delicious. Most hearts don't produce well here, but BBH even produced a handful of tomatoes in 2011, when our air temperatures hit the "too hot for fruit set" threshold in early to mid-May.This year BBH has produced a lot of fruit, and even some doubles.

Black Krim was my first black variety, and since them I've grown many, many others----and not all of them were keepers. Sometimes it wasn't that a given variety was bad, just that it wasn't better than the ones we already grew.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Black Mauri turned darker after sitting on the counter. Some were still green in the middle, but that didn't hinder their taste or cooking flavor which was totally the bomb when "cooked" into things that require a bit of tomato for "seasoning" like stews or taco mixes.

Yesterday I harvested the last and the plant is still growing. Being a newb I did NOT water my garden sufficiently.

Compared to the San Marzano (which did well), Roman and the Cherokee Purple, I can honestly say this variety is somewhat drought tolerant. It. Just. Kept. Going. And still is where it's being shaded by the lambs quarters!

But they're small. Would liked to have had about six times more, but I only had one plant.

bon