Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borderokie

trumpet vine confession

borderokie
10 years ago

Ok Dawn,
You actually have me looking for a place to move this darn thing. You had me at hummingbirds. Not sure if I have a good place where I can keep it in control. Still debating. Havent had time to move it or dig it up yet. Hit the hayfields....So many hobbies so little time!!

Comments (11)

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

Just keep it well away from anything you want to keep...like houses, sheds, garages, trees, bushes...

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol ok maybe I should just pull it up!!!

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a metal arbor that sits at the front of my walkway. It has roses and a clematis that only look good at the first of spring. One rose has gone back past the graft so is small red bloom. The other only blooms good once. The clematis has some kind of fungus that turns it brown as soon as it blooms. Read there is nothing you can do about it it is in the plant. We mow around it so it might be ok there?

• susanlynne48
    10 years ago

It will smother The clematis for sure, even prolific sweet Autumn clematis. I would advise against trying to grow it with anything else.

Moving this vine would be difficult. It is virtually impossible to get all the roots- which spread laterally as far as the Pacific ocean, and can go as deep as China, lol! Expect that the roots that are missed will resprout. I would try taking a cutting or two to plant in another area and cutting the main stem of the existing vine and treating the cut stem (painting with artists small brush) immediately with a product called picloram. Tordon is the only brand name I know. It may take more than one application. Use protective gear - mask, goggles, gloves, long-sleeved shirt to avoid breathing fumes, skin contact, eye splash, etc. This is a product you are well-advised to use extreme precautions. That said, it is also the most effective on invasive vines like trumpet vine.

Susan

• OklaMoni
    10 years ago

Susan, where did you get the picloram?

I need some. I have a vine all over the bushes on the east, south, and west side of my back yard. It also comes up EVERYWHERE in my lawn area, and even though I thought I got it all out of my flower bed areas, it is coming up there too.

I need some of it.

Moni

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Moni is it a vine with heartshaped type leaves? If so, Susan tells me it is useful for monarchs, Honeyvine?. I call it less kind names in my yard!

I pull them.. It spreads by seeds. I find I have missed a few every year when I find the seedpods!

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeyvine Milkweed

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Sheila, I don't even attempt to move a trumpet creeper. If I want a new one, I just find a place where new shoots are coming up on the edge of an established plant and dig up and move them. The arbor I have it growing on is meant for a person to walk through if you plant something small and easily controlled on it, but you cannot walk through it if you grow trumpet creeper on it, and I never intended for it to be an arbor that we'd walk through. It is strictly for the trumpet creeper. You'd have to have an arbor 8 or 10' wide for trumpet creeper in order to have a part of the middle section left open for a walkway, and it is likely you'd have to do a lot of pruning in spring and summer to keep the walkway open.

I have grown coral honeysuckle on the cedar arbor that serves as an entrance to my main veggie garden and even have to prune it back to keep the walkway open and it is not nearly as aggressive as the trumpet creeper.

If you want to get rid of a trumpet creeper that is growing in the wrong place, you have to kill it with picloram or one of the other very strong herbicides in its class. You cannot dig down deeply enough to get out all the roots, and I wouldn't even attempt to do that. The ingredients like picloram that are strong enough to kill trumpet creeper used to be found in many herbicides labeled as brush killer/stump killer. I haven't bought one of those in probably 10 years, and apparently they have been reformulated and many of them no longer contain picloram, except for Tordon. (Remember that you cannot compost anything sprayed with this class of herbicides because it will persist in the compost and kill your plants.) I love trumpet creeper, but know better than to try to move one. You might as well try to move the Great Wall of China or the Eiffel Tower.

Moni, Do you know what kind of vine it is?

A lot of the products available to homeowners that once had picloram have been reformulated with Triclopyr, so the one I used to use in the early years here to control poison ivy no longer contains picloram. I think it was OrthoMax back then, but now that one has Triclopyr instead. You still can find picloram in Tordon, which I generally see only in farm supply stores. I'll link a photo of Tordon so you can see the colors of the packaging. It is made by Dow Agroscience so any store that carries Dow's products ought to either carry it or be able to order it for you. I generally see Tordon in farm supply stores, which are plentiful where I live.

Maybe Susan knows a source for it there in central OK.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: TorDon

• OklaMoni
    10 years ago

All right, ladies, I went out and took pictures. Several. and while I was at it, I took some of another very vile vine. This one makes THORNS, on older growth.

The first picture is of a new growth from under my shed.

This one, is less than a yard from the first one.

about another foot away, in shade this time

Here it is the day after I mowed my weeds, aheam, lawn.

It just about swallowed a rose of sharon here

and here, it is way up high hanging from a tree that is in the corner of my neighbors yard.

Now, both vines

just the other vine:

and here the thorns

if you know either by name, let me know. If you know, what kills them, PLEASE let me know.

The first one grows like bermuda grass, it spreads underground. That is why it comes up ALL OVER MY YARD!

• susanlynne48
    10 years ago

Sorry, Dawn, just now checked back in on this thread. See below. I order a lot at Amazon, especially if I can get free shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tordon @ Amazon - free shipping

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Susan, I was going to suggest Amazon, lol, because I get oodles of stuff there since we have to drive at least an hour to get anywhere decent to shop for pretty much anything, but I thought maybe you city folks had better shopping there than we have out here in the sticks.

Moni, The first vine looks like Peppervine. One reason it is so widespread is that it produces berries, which I think are pretty, and which wildlife eat, but the downside is the berries contain seeds that help it spread. It is an aggressive grower and spreader. We have it on the eastern edge of our woodland and I have removed it where it was climbing the fence, but it pops up everywhere between the fence and the roadway, including in the bar ditch.

The second vine is something in the smilax family, likely a form of greenbrier. Tordon would kill it as well.

Smilax is hard to remove by hand. In our garden I had to dig down about 15-18" to remove huge,very hard tubers. If you don't get the tubers out, it continues to regrow. People try to pull out the greenbrier by hand (presumably wearing gloves) but it keeps coming back because all they are doing is breaking off the vine from the tuber, and then the tuber puts out new shoots.

Tordon will kill it, but many forms of smilax have a glossy leaf surface that makes herbicides roll right off, so to use a herbicide on it, it helps if you add a commercial sticker/spreader or some soap or something (I've used horticultural oil) that will make it adhere to the glossy leaves. It may take repeated treatments to make it go away and stay away.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Peppervine (Ampelopsis arborea)

• OklaMoni
    10 years ago

thank you Dawn. At least, now I know, what I am trying to eradicate!

Moni