Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomatoes staked

Posted by borderokie none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 23:05

WOO! HOO! all my tomatoes are staked and tied.(And almost all mulched) Some of them were planted late and were just now needing it pretty bad. I do not know what that darn T-post driver weighs but its a lu-lu. 82 this year. The most I have ever planted. If I don't get tomatoes to can this year I quit. (Well probably not. I'm too hard headed to quit). someone on the harvest forum said they thought you get better air circulation on post versus cages. Anyone think it makes any difference.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomatoes staked

Sheila, I only met you one time, but you sure did not look 82.

o

I hide my age well Larry!!

o

I just had to yank your chain a little. If your garden looks as well as you do it will be stopping traffic on the highway.

o

lol lol lol from one exaggeration to another Larry. Thanks for makin me smile!!!

o

I cannot compare staked tomatoes to caged ones because I've always grown them caged. There have been a couple of years I've let some sprawl because I was too busy and didn't finish caging them, and I had more trouble with the fruit rotting on the ground or with insects crawling onto the plants from the mulch. I think if the caged plants are well-spaced they get good air circulation, but our garden is in a rural area where there is not much around them to block the wind. People who live in an urban or suburban area with lots of buildings and wooden stockade fences that block wind might have more issues with poor air circulation than us rural folks have.

I hope you get plenty of tomatoes to can, Sheila. I am planning on making pickles today and then hope to can the first batch of tomatoes tomorrow. I also have to harvest the Silver Queen corn today. We should have done it yesterday but were too busy. Everything is ready to harvest all at the same time this year and it has become difficult to get all the harvesting and food preservation done in a timely manner for the last 7-10 days. I was thinking that it seems too early to be as far behind as I am!

Dawn

o

I am jealous!! Wish we had tomatoes. Am getting a little squash and looks like the first cuke will be ready soon. Dad does the corn he has more space than I do. He usually tries to grow enough to kill me putting it up. I'm sure it will be ready soon. Not complaining though! We love it in the freezer. We just will not eat it out of a can. The rest of the world does not know what they are missing!

This post was edited by borderokie on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 8:04

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here