Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borderokie

mulching squash

borderokie
10 years ago

I was reading on squash bugs today and they recommended not mulching your squash because the squash bugs can hide in it. Just wondered if you guys do or dont .

Comments (11)

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

I have a problem with bugs hiding in all my mulch, and I seem to have less problem with bugs when I don't mulch. Then, on the other hand, my squash never last very long anyway. I had not planned on growing any squash this year, but my son gave me 5 plants. I planted them in a new flower bed and have not seen a squash bug yet. I did however loose 2 plants to a gopher. If I see squash bugs this year I plan on hitting them with everything I have.

I talked with a lady that worked at the Mena Co-op late last year and she told me of a method she used and never saw
    a bug, being as at that I had decided to never grow squash again I did not pay much attention.

Larry

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

I mulch them anyway. Our soil here gets so hot on sunny days and dries out so much, that I feel like mulch is absolutely required....not to mention that if you don't mulch, you'll have a major weed battle on your hand. In years when squash bugs are bad, I have them on mulched plants and unmulched plants equally, which I learned by leaving some unmulched to see if it helped. It didn't.

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

I also mulch, for the same reasons. I find it more important to move the planting as far as possible from the previous year, but this year I didn't. This year's planting is only 7-8 feet from last years. I don't plan to do that next year. I have killed one mating pair of adults, one single one and scraped off three egg clusters. I know I can't keep ahead of them, but I try. I am going to try the mirror trick to find the eggs. Beats standing on my head and getting dizzy. I also have diatomaceous earth, and Sevin dust, which I don't like to use, but will in a pinch. (Sevin, not DE) Usually at the end of the season when I pull the plants and shake the nymphs and adults onto the ground, I dust them with the Sevin, hoping that I will get rid of next years breeding population. Alternatively, I do the Squash Bug stomp, squishing as many of them as I can.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Maybe the Squash Bug Stomp could start a new dance trend.

I've heard that the dreaded Squash Vine Borers have arrived in my part of OK, but haven't seen any yet. Too bad we can't stomp those adults before they lay eggs.

• elkwc
    10 years ago

I mulch everything. Like Dawn stated I have never noticed a difference in the SB's whether I do or not but it sure makes a difference in the amount of water required and how well the plants do. Jay

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You know you have lost it when you go outside with a flashlight( to lock up your chickens) and you end up out in the garden on your head killing squash bugs, babies and eggs. Someone book me a rubber room!!!!

• helenh
    10 years ago

I like to look for bugs with a flashlight. I caught some big climbing cutworms that way. I haven't seen a copperhead yet; that would stop me. At night you get an idea of what is making the holes in leaves. I only have a few squash plants but they are well watered. When you spray them with water the squash bugs come to the top. I stick my thumb nail through them and have fun doing it and you think you need a rubber room.

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Yep, I killed four adults--two while mating--this morning with a water hose in my hand. Found two more egg clusters too.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Sheila, Well, we all of lost our minds over gardening long ago, so you have come to the right place. We keep the rubber room booked almost year-round.

Helen, It isn't the snakes I see at night that scare me. It is the ones I don't see. When I go out to the garden at night, I need two flashlights....one to shine on the path right ahead of my feet,and one to shine into the plants so I can see whatever I am searching for. Even then, before I walk through the gate, I shine the light around on the ground to see if snake eyes are shining back at me. If they are, I don't open the gate and go in there.

You enjoy sticking your thumbnail through them? Oh, Helen, it has happened...you have crossed over to the dark side. You can have my scheduled week in the rubber room if you need it. I won't even touch them without gloves. I hope you're wearing gloves when you touch them.

Dorothy, You sure know how to ruin a romantic moment between two amorous squash bugs.

Y'all must have my squash bugs. I haven't seen any yet, but I am sure I will see them the next time I go into the garden since I just said that. If you do have my squash bugs, feel free to keep them. I don't want to start receiving boxes of squash bugs or squash bug eggs in the mail.

On the other hand, though, I have lots of stink bugs, both green ones and brown ones. I don't want y'all to think we are bug-free here because we're not.

Dawn

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Never wear gloves hate em. Rather have bug guts on my hands. I have a mans hand but shorter fingers. So gloves dont fit and just get in my way. As for snakes been copperhead bit. Hurts like HECK but not deadly unless you are allergic. Still catch garden snakes and move them out of greenhouses forthe lady i work with. Melts down and will not come back in if they arent moved.(You can probably hear her scream where you live) Had a big ol black chicken snake in my hen house the other night. Was under a black chicken and almost reached under her before I saw his head stickin out from under her wing. Quite exciting when you realize he's there. CAN NOT believe she stayed on the nest and did not move. He moved though with an egg and I got him with my shrub choppers and a light holder. Those things get big. First one I've ever had in my coop. My dad warned me last week not to go out as late as I do without a light. I might need a rubber room but I aint that crazy!!!

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oh and back on the subject of squash bugs I planted a new kind of zuke this year from parks and they have done every one of them in. Not on any of the others just that kind. They look fine and then they are wilted. Dont think it's bores. there were some babies on the plants but not really enough to kill it i didnt think