Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New tomatoes?!

Posted by Julie717 7a Sapulpa (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 1:35

Yesterday when I was watering what is left of my tomato plants, I noticed that the Cherokee Purple had several tomato babies about the size of marbles on it.

I can't believe it is still fruiting in this blast furnace! That is one tough plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New tomatoes?!

It is not unheard of.

One year I had Big Boy setting fruit at insanely high levels in the first and second week of August when our high temps were approximately 108-112 and our low temps were 80-84. During that time we were in Exceptional drought (we only had a smidgen over 18" of rain for the entire year) and our afternoon humidities were in the teens and even the single digits. I believe that when it is exceptionally hot some tomato plants will set fruit well when the relative humidity is low, and not as well when the relative humidity is high. I do have some varieties still setting fruit here, and our afternoons have seen high temps from 108-111 and relative humidity bottoms out at about 16-18%. Even in the mornings, whatever humidity we have does not last long and we are usually in the 20s around lunch time.

Some Garden Web members who garden in hot areas that tend to be dry with low RH, like Sacramento, CA, report great fruit set from some varieties even in hot weather as well. I was relieved when I read some posts from one of them, because when my plants were setting fruit in insane heat, I thought I was losing my mind.

o

My plants look so terrible, I don't think I can keep them alive long enough to harvest them. But I guess I'll just keep watering and see what happens.

o

All plants look pretty terrible by late July and early August. Even in a normal year they have had to endure a lot of weather and pest stress by this point in the growing season, and this year is so much worse than an average year.

If you can water them enough to just keep them hanging on and clinging to life, they'll produce pretty well in the fall, most of the time. I don't know if that will be as true this year because of the extreme temps we're having.

I've been trying to keep a few alive, but am about to give up. This was our fifth consecutive day at or over 110 (was 112 today) and the plants and I both are just sick of this heat, and it shows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here