Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NE OK Soil

Posted by AmyinOwasso 6b, Owasso, OK (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 10:06

DH built 2 4 x 8 beds. Now we have to fill them. Bought a load of "garden soil" from a local nursery that is mostly clay and doesn't drain. Does anyone have a sorce for GOOD soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NE OK Soil

Amy, I would just amend the clay. I don't ever remember buying a load of soil. I bought 5 bags of compost from Ace Hardware yesterday because I am out and need some for fall planting. The compost is $1.50 a bag and comes from Miami OK, I think you can buy it by the truck load cheap there, but its too long of a drive for me. There should be many in your area that sell bulk compost.

Larry

o

The other beds were mixtures of different purchased compost. It gets pricey if there is nothing to mix it with. I have a kiddie pool with the clay soil in it, it might fill 1/2 of a 4 x 8 bed. The bed will be about 10" deep.

o

Gem Dirt in west Tulsa has large quantities of soil, and they deliver. I filled my 2 4 x 10 raised beds with their garden mix in March. I'm happy with it so far.

Lee

o

Thanks so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here