Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

I guess, I will have to mow again? :)

OklaMoni
10 years ago

It's raining in OKC. No, I am not complaining... just stating fact...

I will have to mow again.

It had been put on hold, cause I won't water grass.

So far, I have 9/10 of an inch in my rain gauge!

Hurrah!

:)

Moni

Comments (6)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Moni,

Yay! Rain is good.

I am hoping this rain turns our brown grass green again. We didn't have to mow it this week since it hadn't grown since last week. I expect we'll have to mow it next week or maybe even sooner.

You've had good rainfall. So far we have less than a quarter-inch, but more is expected.

Texas is supposed to get lots of rain if the Qualitative Precipitation Forecast is correct. Some counties to my county's south and west in Texas have a Flash Flood Watch in effect. I hope they get the benefit of good rainfall without the flooding.

I also wish we were going to get the rain they are supposed to get, but I am really happy for them that they will get lots of rain. The areas forecast to get a lot of rain are pretty deeply in drought in places and have been having some wildfires, brush fires and grass fires, so the rain is desperately needed there.

Any time you get a rainy, cool, cloudy day in this region in July is cause for celebration!

I'm going to link the 5-day QPF which forecasts rainfall totals for today and the next 4 days combined. For a while over the last few days, it showed some really great rainfall totals for OK, but as the rain event moved closer, the heavier rains kept shifting more and more into TX. Still, any rainfall is great!

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

I'm not sure how much I ended up getting....my rain gauge was full of sprinkler water :) But I would guess it was close to two inches. I've been on vacation for the last 10 days....it was wonderful to come home to rain!

• scottokla
    10 years ago

0.0 here

Grass is looking bad. We are about 7 inches below normal for year now. Just bad luck for our small area.

Could be worse, like the last two years!

• shankins123
    10 years ago

I had 1.5 inches as of about 2:00 this afternoon - wonderful rain!
    I hope to have a bit more by tomorrow afternoon and hope you all do as well.

Sharon

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

We had the most pitiful rainfall ever. It rained all day and some of the night and this morning we only had 0.35" in our rain gauge. We were in a dry slot yesterday afternoon with rain falling on various sides of us, including at our mesonet station, but missing us. It is raining here now and is supposed to rain on and off all day long, so maybe we'll pick up another 0.2 or 0.3" today.

The QPF had predicted significantly higher rainfall than what we have received, but I was pretty sure we wouldn't get the amounts shown on the QPF because we rarely do. I always look at the amount of rain forecast by the QPF and then figure we'll get 10-25% of what they say we will. Tim won't even look at the QPF any longer because it is always so wrong in our case.

I'm happy for all of y'all who got a lot of rain. Now, prepare yourselves for a mosquito invasion!

Scott, I was hoping y'all would get some rain there, but as I watched the radar yesterday, it looked like it was missing your area.

This year is much better than the last two summers, but we sure do need the rain pretty much all over the state. Our bermuda grass is the color of wheat, though I do think the amount of rain we've gotten will green it up again.

Any time that you can have a few days in July where the high temperature is in the 70s, who can complain? Even if we barely got any rain at all, I've been loving the cooler temperatures.

Dawn

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Dawn, I love the cooler temp! I am sitting here, with a long sleeve shirt on, and long pants... cause it is rather cool in my house. I have the windows open, and the fan is still on.

I just LOVE it!

Moni