Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sunchokes?

Posted by c1nicolei 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 11:00

Has anyone had good luck growing sunchokes in central OK? Want to try growing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sunchokes?

Yep! Just started them in spring. They're over six foot tall.

bon

o

If you have gophers you may want to protect the bulbs with hardware cloth, they ate all of mine.

o

I put blocks of wax based rat poison in coffee cans, on their sides, right at the base of the plants, when/if I observe problems with rodents.

Dorothy (Mulberryknob) and her husband Glenn tell me that they have grown them in mineral tubs, which I guess to be about 15 gal capacity. Their experience with this has been very good. I believe Glenn told me, at our last Green Country Seed Savers meeting, that they harvested something like 40 lb of roots from one of these tubs, and they don't have to worry about rodents.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

I wish I had grown mine in a tub because they are trying to take over my garden.

o

I have an area if my yard I can let them take over, however that is a good points about rode to, as we have plenty of those. May just resort to putting them in my raised beds. Thanks all. Also do you have a favorite way to cook them?

o

I mainly boil them. But it is very important to boil in two changes of water, in order to eliminate some of the starch which is so hard to digest. It causes flatulence. Boiling twice pulls a lot of the starch out. I've baked them, and they were delicious. But again, it's important first to boil twice. The first time I baked them, I didn't boil them first. They tasted so very good! But later I was wondering if gas could be terminal!

Here's another recipe, one which I have not yet tried. Bet it's good.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: pickled sunchokes

o

We eat small amounts raw, in salads, all winter. Also stir fry small amounts with other vegetables. We haven't noticed the gassiness that George mentions.

o

I do know that they get ahead of most gardeners...beware those things ;)
I once planted three, and I believe I harvested more like 3 5-gallon buckets off those three in first year.

o

I planted them during last summer's drought....they grew really well until the grasshoppers found them....unfortunately, they didn't come back this summer.

o

Flaulence? Good to know George. Will be one of the veggies I will not push on my husband. Lol.

Plant to try them next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here