Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anti-Bermuda Edging

Posted by lucas_tx 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 11:11

I'm lucky enough to have little blue stem and buffalo grass make up a lot of areas in my lawn. However it a lot of other areas, there is enough Bermuda mixed in for it to be a real pain.

I'm continually taking over lawn areas for raised beds and/or beds at ground level.

So, I'm constantly thinking about edging to use and looking for the ideal scenario. This thinking is complicated by the fact that in many areas, the beds tend to expand each year so I'm somewhat reluctant to put in something permanent.

So, what are everyone's thoughts? Inexpensive, durable and easy to install would be nice. Ability to get below ground level to stop the underground running is pretty imperative.

Thanks

Teri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anti-Bermuda Edging

I use the roll galvanized flashing meant for roofing. You can get the 12-14" and put half in the ground and half above. I have used it at the bottom of some chainlink fence with great success.

o

Sounds good. I guess you have to dig to put it in? It's not sturdy enough to pound it in like that green steel edging is it?

o

Yes, you need to use a sharp square edging shovel. A little work but worth the results, I think.

o

I think I might need a sledgehammer to pound it into my clay soil, unless it's pretty soggy to begin with. Not to mention contending with the existing roots. Being a western transplant, I have never seen roots like these grasses have. Incredible.

Pat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here