Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macmex

Regioinal Seed Saving "Exchange"

Macmex
10 years ago

Hey folks,

Just thought I'd let you know. We're working on a regional seed saving exchange. Haven't worked out a lot of details. Indeed, it's going to be a lengthy process. But we hope to launch a basic forum and FAQ web site by August 10. I intend to link to Gardenweb, and especially the Oklahoma Gardening forum, as resources,.

Here are some of the purposes behind this new venture:

⢠Find, preserve, promote and disseminate food plants which are especially suitable for our regionâÂÂs needs and climate.
⢠Motivate and educate gardeners to effectively reproduce their own seed. (This should help them economically, put them more in touch with the source of their food, and make for a more resilient food production network on the regional level.)
⢠Build preservation into our regionâÂÂs gardening culture.
⢠Encourage the establishment of privately owned nurseries and seed companies, especially those which especially serve our region.

Here are a couple more ideas on what we'd like to accomplish. This isn't supposed to develop into a centralized corporation type organization. I'd like to see a grass roots group. Still have a LOT to do on how to operate the actual seed exchange end of it. I'm starting more in the educational/motivational part.

⢠Regional in focus/climate & people
⢠Grassroots in nature
⢠Influence people broadly
⢠Educational
⢠Motivational and easy to do
⢠Support Entrepreneurs
⢠Preservation of germ plasm " niche fits this climate and should work really well here.
⢠Multiply the seed savers and home gardeners
⢠Eventually expand into animals " heritage breeds.

George
Tahlequah, OK

This post was edited by macmex on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 12:24

Comments (2)