Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkin runner root area?

Posted by slowpoke_gardener 6/7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 12:23

I have noticed on my Seminole pumpkins and my Old Timey Cornfield pumpkins that the runners that go out into the lawn are a lighter color. The planting areas were amended well, but where they are running out into the lawn (which never gets water or anything else) the vines seem lighter in color, sorta like they would like a little nitrogen. Should I water, and maybe feed the area where the runners may be putting down new roots? I know that will also make the weeds and grass grow and look a little sloppy, but that is of no concern to me.

Thanks, Larry

photo 002_zps961de50f.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkin runner root area?

Larry,

I suppose you can do it if you want to. I don't know of any reason why you shouldn't. It can only help the plants.

Sometimes the newer growth is lighter merely because it is new, and then it turns darker as it ages.That could be all you're seeing.

I'm all in favor of doing the watering and feeding because anything that makes the plants stronger also will make them more productive.

If you don't want to have to worry about the grass going crazy, you could put down cardboard with mulch on top to smother most of that grass near the runners and just leave the soil bare right where the runners touch the ground so they can root into the ground as they grow.

Dawn

o
RE: Pumpkin runner root area?

Dawn, thinks. I think I will water and feed the runner area. I don't have enough mulch to mulch the area. There may be a few spots where I will sit the cornfield pumpkin on some mulch to try to reduce insect damage. I have some oak shavings that I think will work well in that application.

The weeds and grass will be no problem if they don't harm the pumpkins, I will just mow the area after harvest.

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here