Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Critters

Posted by AmyinOwasso 6b, Owasso, OK (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 12:24

I haven't grown corn or beans in 30+ years. I belive they failed that year anyway. I have a few popcorn plants and a bunch of pole beans that were supposed to climb up corn and okra. I have already made note of the fact that beans grow faster than either. A volunteer mustard plant had come up deep in the bean jungle and bolted. Something ate all the seed pods and left behind frass. It doesn't look like it was interested in the beans. Something also left frass in one of the corn stalks. The rain we had last night knocked the stock over, or I would not have seen it. The rest of the corn is too tall for me to see easily. Are catapillars and worms the only thing that leaves behind that kind of mess? I killed a small grasshopper that was on the beans. I can try bt, but there is more rain in the forecast.

Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Critters

Amy, I have a small 2 liter Solo sprayer that I use for small spray jobs. I also have a squeeze bottle (like mustard is in) that I also use on small jobs. You can get BT in powder or liquid. You can use either method to place a small amount of spray or powder right in the top of a corn stalk or on the end of the ears. I had rather not use anything, but sometimes you have to if you want a harvest.

I don't have good luck with corn late in the summer, just too many insects.

o

Grasshoppers leave frass behind. I don't notice it much when there's only a few grasshoppers around, but when there's a lot of them feeding on plants, the frass is really obvious.

I used a small sprayer like Larry mentioned for spot spraying a specific area that has a problem. Yes, you might have to respray in a few days after it rains, but it still would be a good idea to go ahead and spray Bt on the corn ears in order to stop whatever is eating them.

o

There aren't any ears yet, I didn't get it planted as early as I wanted. It was kind of an impulse, to give the beans something to climb. I am being punished for not thinning the beans, I can't see into the bed well and they are tangling up with each other. It is also a round bed, which I find annoying for some reason. Seems harder to reach into and work with in general, though logic tells me it is no further to reach than the square beds. I will go spray bt, and look for more grasshoppers. Thanks for the info.

o

I have Bt in a powder form (and the mustard like bottle). Some kind of moth (genista I think) has been attacking my baptisia plants for the last couple of years. They killed two bushes before I finally gave in and started using the Bt. I don't like using it because I garden for butterflies, but it does work.

(despite the title, I have not squish remorse for these! )

Here is a link that might be useful: Squish Remorse (or not!)

o

I'm not sure that I didn't see a moth like the one in your sqish remorse link today, too, hmm, where...on the cukes? I didn't know what it was. I like butterflies, and I have some milkweed to plant in the fall, but they need to stay away from the veggies. I really have no problem with bt on the veggies. The critters notice when things are just about to get productive...and boom, they get most of it! Or the mustard seed...I was going to collect it, it was an asian mustard green that I liked, especially since the spinach didn't grow.

o

lisa_h, I planted a yellow baptisia last year and have been fighting the genista from mid-Spring to now. I had planned on having a pretty shrub in that spot, but am about ready to dig it up and toss it. I plant for butterflies, too, and don't want to use anything that could harm them. I have some grandkids that like to squish, but there are hundreds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here