Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thread worms

Posted by okievegan (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 12:36

Well, while eliminating more grass in the front garden, I found some thread worms. Other than warning the neighbors who have three little kids who are pretty much always barefoot, what should I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thread worms

If your dogs walk in that area, you may need to get them checked and possibly put on a course of Ivermectin. Also, of course, I'd always wear closed shoes with no open heels or toes when out in the yard and would wear gloves when gardening. I'm sure you're doing that already.

Otherwise, do you mean what do you do about them being there? That's a tough one. I am not sure what the solution would be. The standard solution on a farm or ranch is just to treat the animals (or people) I think, not the soil.

Normally, I'd say beneficial nematodes, when used at the time of year when temperatures are favorable, would help, but I've never seen thread worms referenced in any way when reading about beneficial nematodes. There's probably beneficial microorganisms that, when added to the soil, might destroy the thread worms but I don't know how you'd find out what they are or where to purchase them, if they even are available commercially.

If it were me, I'd probably contact my local county Ag Extension agent for advice, or contact OSU, likely through the Soil, Water and Forage Lab, to seek their advice. If that route was not fruitful, I'd probably contact the Ardmore-based Noble Foundation to see if one of their soil or rangeland scientists could suggest anything.

Generally, when you have any sort of pest infestation that lives part or all of its life in the soil, the standard method of dealing with them is to add organic matter and other substances like humates and dry molasses to your soil in order to increase biological activity in the soil. Generally as the soil gets healthier and more biologically active, the microorganisms in the soil take care of the pests.

You also might try asking this on the Soil and Compost Forum to see if anyone there has tried to remediate soil infested with thread worms.

Here is a link that might be useful: OSU Soil Water and Forage Lab Webpage

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here