Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

2012 Hottest OKC Y r.Plus Rest of Top Ten

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
11 years ago

Here's an interesting graphic for OKC from the NWS office in Norman.

If you're thinking this is the hottest year from Jan-June that you've ever seen here, then you're right

Dawn

Comments (5)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It showed up in the preview, but not the thread so I am attempting again.

When you click on the link and the page from the NWS comes up, click on "Special Topic" to see the top ten graphic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Top Ten Hot Years

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

Welp. That explains why I enjoyed spring so much. ::

Astonishing last year didn't qualify as the hottest with the triple-digit heat wave.

bon

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bon, I did find that a little odd too, but the temperature range from No. 1 to No. 10 isn't all that big. I think we had cooler weather in Jan-Feb 2011 and that kept down the average temperature.

It bothers me that 2 of those top ten years were the last two years. That's not a trend we want to see continue.

Our winter weather is southern OK likely was very similar to OKC's in both 2011 and 2012. I don't remember the last time we were as warm in January and February as we were in 2012. We often have scattered warm to hot days in those months--but only a couple of them scattered randomly in one or two of those months in any given year. This year we were just flat hot for far too much of the winter.

The upside to a warm winter is that often the last freeze is very early and we get an early start on planting. I think the early warm weather and lack of recurring cold nights and 'late' freezes has played a huge role in the great tomato harvests this year. This is the kind of weather we had prior to 2005. Since 2005, it has stayed cold at night later and made it harder to get an early start with tomatoes. I'd love to see the early last freeze be a trend that continues forever.

Dawn

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

Crud They changed the page. I wonder if it was based upon a mean, medium or just an average.

If it's an average then it may not be noteworthy while being mathematically accurate. I'm being playfully pretentious with this as I certainly am not experienced nor have I paid clear attention to these anomalies for any length of time. For heaven's sake I enjoyed this year's lengthy spring foolishly unaware of its overall implications.

Yet, if this is just an "average" then last year's triple digit months were an 'anomaly' skewing the results. In short, we would need to see a wider rage (more of) these anomalies to incur that the triple digits last year are indicative of overall climatic weather changes.

Putting overall (avg) temperature increases aside I'm assuming the heat of last summer was a fluke and hopefully will not recur.

I guess this means: If last year was not THE hottest since 1911 then it's safe to assume that is a very good sign, indeed. Time will tell, I suppose. My Lesson learned: enjoy a long warm spring but be weary of impending drought.

bon

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

I never was any good at following directions *sigh*. "..click on "Special Topic".

It suggests "average" temperatures of months Jan through July.

The hot months of last year weigh heavy on an average. :)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?