Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are the this little devils

Posted by travis77 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 13:51

So they kill my weekend pumpkin plant. These little devils were in the ground and in the stem of the plant. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these little devils

Closer view

o
RE: What are the this little devils

Perhaps squash vine borers?

o

That's what I was looking at but they are really small like maybe 1/4 in or smaller. And there were a crazy amount of them in the plant and in the ground. They are in the dirt as well.

o

My first guess would be squash vine borers because that usually is what you'd find. Based on your description, it may be you found them at the very young, tiny stage. I've never seen them that small.

So, I asked myself what else might tunnel in a cucurbit plant and all I can think of is pickleworms. Maybe that's what you have. I'm linking a document that has a paragraph about pickleworms. This is just a long-shot guess because I've never had pickleworms in my garden so I've only seen them in photos.

Let us know if you think it might be pickleworms after you read the info and compare it to what you've found.

George (Macmex) may have other ideas too. He has grow a lot of squash in various places and maybe he has seen these before.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash Pests

o

Thanks for the link but I don't think its picklesworms because they are more white and the plant had no fruit on it. Here's a closer shot of what it looks like.

o

the last picture looks like a termite to me, but I don't know why it would be in a plant. I could see them being in the soil if you had a lot of wood chips as mulch.

o

It looks like a termite to me too. I have been googling them, mixed info on whether or not they eat plants, but some people say they eat woody plants, specifically mentioning peppers. Some days I just shudder in horror at what is in the garden. Our first house had termites, I would freak if I found them in the garden.

o

It looks like a termite to me too and at times they have been known to eat plants. A former member of the Oklahoma Forum named Courtney had termites eating her sedum plants a few years back. Courtney moved away a few years ago and I doubt she ever visits this forum, so we can't ask her how she dealt with them at the time....and I don't remember what she did.

o

It's a termite they like any thing woody and damp

o

They like turnips. I had some eating on some of my turnips, not the greens but the turnips.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 12:36

Lol, I guess turnips are mostly wood, after all...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here