Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leava

turnips or clover or ? for useful ground cover

leava
9 years ago

i know weird topic..lol

our garden got wiped out by el reno tornado a year ago and this year did not get planted.so you could find my garden by looking for 5 foot high weeds inside concrete blocks areas.WAHHHH

we are reclaiming it.we hope.i am hoping to get one bed planted for fall garden.two others we will let lay fallow.we are weedeating the garden then black plastic weighted down to make weeds die hopefully.then hand weed and rake and put cover crop.

since inflation is making food so costly i would like to use something for cover crop that would make food.was thinking turnips broadcast maybe.pull and use greens then have some turnips to eat and barter.

love clover for the blossoms the nitrogen fixing and to be a friend to bees....

any input or other ideas ??

one year post tornado we are just about catching up with all the cleanup everywhere and repairs and such.just roofs and trees but we live in mini forest in town....nice to be looking forward to planting.....

Comments (4)

• leava
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here is one tree jeff is still sawing on weekly and forgot to ask when would i plant the turnips or clover ??

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

Leava, you have a mess! I am glad I am not the one that has to cut up that tree.

I have clover all over my lawn so I never think about having something for the bees, but I do plant flowers for them. I don't like turnips as well as mustard, kale, collards and spinach. Kale and mustard are my old stand-by because I like their taste better. I would suggest that you plant whatever you like to eat. I can grow all the above very easily, except Spinach, and if you have a store around close that sells bulk seed you can get them dirt cheap.

Larry

• leava
    Original Author
    9 years ago

we do have a bulk seed store and love kale .i might do kale as was thinking not sure i could use all the turnips maybe some.is it too early to plant do you think ???

every time it rains i want to throw a fit that i have no seed in the ground but it is so hot.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Hi Leava,

I was wondering where y'all have been. We missed you both at the Spring Fling at Paula's house this spring.

I hate hearing about all the tornado damage you and Jeff have had to deal with. That is such a huge tree. I bet y'all really miss the shade it used to provide.

Turnips would be lovely and there's lots of other cool-season crops that are pretty low-maintenance that you could grow as well....rutabagas, beets, carrots, collard greens, kale (there are some gorgeous varieties that are really beautiful), Swiss chard, lettuce or mesclun mixes, spinach, radishes or even cabbage.

Clover would be great if you need to do some soil improvement since it fixes nitrogen in the soil. You know, you could plant a taller type of plant in the center of the bed and a smaller one around the perimeter like an edging.

If you want to plant turnips, the OSU-recommended planting dates for them are August 1 - September 15.

For clover, most types do fine from a September planting, or maybe even October. Scott could answer this part of the question better than I could because his location in OK is closer to yours than mine is. I often wait until October with clover because sometimes September's weather just won't cool down. Or, rain won't fall and I try to wait for the rain. You're a lot further north than I am, so that's why I think September might work better for you.

If you use clover, either buy some that is coated with an inoculant or buy an inoculant to use when planting. It will help you get a better stand of clover. White clover would stay lower-growing, but Crimson clover or red clover both are nice options too.

Keep us posted on what you decide and on how well it does for you. Remember if you want to grow garlic for a harvest next summer, you'd be planting it in September or October as well.

Dawn