Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

July Garden Chores

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
16 years ago

I have been running through all the usual 'Garden Chores for July" in my memory bank and trying to make sure I am getting everything done that I should. I wonder if I am missing anything? Here's my mental list of July gardening chores. I am sure that I am missing something. Feel free to add your own July garden chores.

WATER:

--All well-established plants DEEPLY but infrequently during dry spells.

--All new and less well-established plants DEEPLY but also more frequently to encourage good root growth and development.

--All container plants daily or even twice daily as needed.

--Tiny seedlings being raised for fall transplanting as often as needed. May need water up to 3 times a day if they are in full sun and are in tiny cellpacks. If tiny seedlings are in the ground, you may need to periodically 'puncture' the soil with the prongs of a hand-held cultivator so the soil doesn't get hard and crust over, preventing water from reaching these plant's roots.

PRUNE:

--Dead or damaged tree or shrub limbs.

--Spent flower heads so new flowers can form.

--Roses to encourage fall bloom.

FERTILIZE:

--All planting areas with a balanced organic fertilizer. Normally I do this in June and not in July, but June was too rainy and I was afraid the fert.would leach out.

--If any plants are showing an obvious nutritional deficiency, feed with iron/sulfur products to correct it. (Iron deficiency is common after periods of heavy rain.)

--Foliar feed all plants with a spray containing compost tea, fish emulsion or liquid seaweed. In addition to providing nutrition, these sprays help decrease spider mite problems.

--All container plants frequently because daily watering leaches out nutrients pretty quickly.

--Water lily and other water plants with pond-tabs.

PLANT:

--Warm season grasses, as needed, from seed, sod or plugs.

--Container grown nursery stock. Often you will find great prices on containerized trees, shrubs and groundcovers in July and August.

--Warm-season veggies for the fall garden. This includes your fall tomatoes and peppers, melons, beans,etc.

--Annual color for your flower beds, like zinnias, marigolds, gomphrena, celosia, copper plant, Joseph's Coat, purslane, portulaca, periwinkles, sunflowers, salvias, etc. You may find chrysanthemums in the nurseries now, but are more likely to see them in August.

Don't forget that you can brighten up a hot, tired garden by adding plants with interesting foliage like sun coleus, Persian Shield, caladium, cannas, and elephant ears.

--Seeds for cool season veggies like beets, carrots, etc. or start cool-season flowers from seed in cellpacks. These would be coole-season flowers that will overwinter and bloom, like pansies, violas, dianthus, snapdragons, etc.

MOWING & MISC. CHORES:

--Mow lawns weekly or more often as needed, depending on the lawn grass and its' desired height. Use a mulching mower and leave the clippings on the lawn so they can decompose and feed the lawn, OR

--If you prefer, collect your grass clippings with a grass catcher or rake them up and put them on your comopost pile or use a LIGHT layer of them as mulch. (A heavy layer turns slimey.)

--If you have healthy, well-established fall blooming perennials like asters, mums, copper canyon daisies and Mexican bush sage, now is the time to shear them back 4 or 5" to encourage bushiness as they enter their blooming season. Then, don't prune again until after their fall blooming period is over, except for light deadheading.

--Start a new compost pile, or turn and add to the old one.

--Mulch all exposed soil to keep the soil cool and decrease evaporation of moisture from the soil.

CONTROL PESTS AND WEEDS:

--Remove weeds from your landscape by hand or using organic weedkillers.

--Treat cannas and other large-leaves plants with Bt if they are having leaf-roller problems. Or, if you don't want to use Bt (which is harmful to butterflies and moths) prune out leaves with leaf rollers on them and place them in a plastic bag. Tie the bag closed and add it to your regular trash.

-If webworms are appearing in your pecans, persimmons, and other trees, prune out the limbs with the webs and dispose of them OR break open the webs so birds can get to them and eat them, or spray the webworms with a solution of 1 gallon of water plus 1 tablespoon of insecticidal soap.

--If scale is apparent on hollies, camellias, euonymus,etc., use a SUMMER-WEIGHT horticultural oil only. You can spray with the heavy-weight dormant oil in the winter months only.

--If you are seeing elm leaf beetles, lacebugs and the like, spray with a summerweight horticultural oil or pyrethrum.

--If you are seeing spider mites on plants, spray the plants every 3 days for 3 times (i.e. 3 sprayings in a 9-day period) with insecticial soap (Careful--it can burn foliage) or with a garlic-pepper tea spray.

--If fleas or ticks are a problem in the yard, trea with DE products or pyrethrum products. Use pyrethrum ONLY if you don't have cats, because it is toxic to cats.

VEGGIES/HERBS:

In addition to items mentioned above:

--Remove plants that are no longer producing. Fill their space with either your fall veggie plantings, herbs, flowers or a green manure or cover crop.

--Continue to harvest from plants that are still producing, including tomatoes, peppers, beans (if succession planting), late corn, okra, winter squash and pumpkins, black-eyed peas, cream peas, crowder peas, amaranth and malabar spinach, and melons.

--Succession plant another batch of beans, black-eyed peas, squash and cucumbers.

--Succession plant fall tomatoes.

--Continue to seek out and destroy squash bugs and stink bugs.

--In very late July OR very early August, plant seeds of cole crops (broccoli, cabbage, collard greens, kale, cabbage and brussels sprouts) for your fall garden. Plant then in cell packs or paper cups and transplant them into the ground in very late August or early September.

--Shear back herbs to keep them growing and producing.

DON'T FORGET TO:

--Wear a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen to protect your skin and yourself from the heat.

--Drink lots of water and Gatorade to stay hydrated.

--Wear insect repellent as needed.

ORDER:

--Seeds of wildflowers, perennials and biennials that need to be planted in the fall, winter or earliest spring.

--Bulbs of fall-bloomers like fall crocus and colchicum.

--Garlic bulbs for fall plantings.

--If you plant a fall crop of forage plants for the deer, get your seed now! Plant as soon as the conditions are right.

OK, y'all, that is my July list. What chores am I forgetting?

Dawn

Comments (3)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

BUMP

• susanlynne48
    16 years ago

Dawn, sometimes the leaf roller is the caterpillar of a Skipper butterfly, too. If you unroll the leaf and see a caterpillar with a large head, looking like it is pinched off from the body of the larvae, it is a skipper. Usually the head is a dark color and the body a light color. They don't usually do much damage at all. Now, the moth larvae that feed on skippers can do quite a bit of damage because they appear in much larger numbers.

I am still planting things, altho I know you're not supposed to plant this late in the season. However, I am planting things like Solidago and 4 o'clocks. These can probably tolerate the stress better than some flowers. I am also planting milkweed seedlings, and they are doing just fine as well. Two things - one, depends on the plant; two, we are not having serious heat throes yet. I try to plant when it's a bit cloudy as well, and that seems to help.

Things I'm doing in the garden:

Deadheading
    Removing dead stems and branches
    Fertilizing (still - using chicken manure and Espoma)
    Watering pots daily
    Collecting butterfly eggs
    Collecting Gulf Fritillary caterpillars and Walnut Sphinx cats
    Cleaning caterpillar cages daily and providing fresh food
    Pulling up useless plants (like clematis tangutica)
    Cleaning hummingbird feeders and making nectar (I have TWO black-chinned hummers now - I'm SOOOOO excited)
    Squashing milkweed beetle larvae

My Black and Blue Salvia is just to die for! One reason I cut back the clematis - so it could get more sun. It is one of the most beautiful salvias I have ever seen. Linda recommended as highly sought after by the hummers.

My Hibiscus coccinus is blooming as well as the H. 'Kopper King' (it is also extremely gorgeous!).

The cypress vine is growing everywhere, but very little bloom. I'm hoping with this heat it will start producing! The Golden Hops is twining thru it, so it looks very pretty.

I am going to have seed of Partridge Pea, Wild Senna (Senna hebecarpa) and Senna bicapsularis (Christmas cassia), as well as 4 o'clock 'Broken Colors', and passiflora ceurulea if anyone wants some a bit later on. I also have an extra pot of False Nettle to give away. These are all host plants for the following butterflies, respectively: the first 3 pea plants host sulphur butterflies; the 4 o'clock hosts white-lined sphinx; the passion vine hosts Gulf Fritillaries; and the False Nettle hosts Red Admirals. False Nettle does has no prickly thorns and doesn't sting like regular nettles do, so we use it as an alternate host plant for the RAs instead of stinging nettles.

I'm sure I'll have milkweed (various species and annual) seeds available in fall as well. Oh, and verbena bonariensis, marigolds, hibiscus coccinus, cleome, Gregg's mistflower (can be invasive, but the Monarchs love it for nectaring and other butterflies as well); Agastache 'Blue FOrtune'; Joe Pye Weed; zinnias; Cosmic Orange cosmos (can take more water and fertilizer); hamelis patens (firebush); Mexican Flame vine; white morning glory; datura inoxia; and monarda didyma (fuchsia pink blooms).

Dawn, you're not gonna believe this, but I have a volunteer yellow pear tomatoe plant! I was so surprised to see it growing!

Come on everyone - what's going on in your gardens?

Susan

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Susan,

A lot of the flowers that you have planted for butterflies are native in our pastures.....like partridge pea and cassia, for example, and they are in bloom and looking lovely. We have been cutting pathways through the pastures and not mowing the entire pastures themselves, so the wildflowers are huge and thick and lush, and we have tons of butterflies, moths and numerous other insects. It really is a jungle out there.

Having had no rain for a couple of weeks, it was beginning to get pretty dry, but then we received an inch of rain overnight so that perked up the plants a bit.

I hve four o'clocks in partial shade (morning sun, afternoon dappled shade) that have reached over 6 feet in height! They are gorgeous and are covered in flowers and, of course, the fragrance at night is heavenly. However, I know a good stiff wind will knock them down. I never collect the seeds, just let them fall and reseed.

My cypress vine isn't blooming yet either and I think it is a little late this year, so I guess we have to blame the weather.....I bet we will have blooms soon though.

I am not terribly surprised you have a yellow pear volunteer plant as yellow pear seems especially prone to volunteer. My volunteers usually come up in pathways and I have to move them, but I love seeing them come up. You never know what you will get....and some great tomatoes have been 'discovered' from either volunteer seedlings or crossed seed saved and planted the following year.

I have volunteer pumpkin vines growing on the fence around the guinea pen. They seemed to come out of nowhere about 3 weeks ago (in almost full shade) and are growing like mad (trying to find sunlight?) and are already blooming. I don't know if they will make any pumpkins since they are in so much shade.

I have volunteer sunflowers in the dog yard and around the compost pile, a volunteer tomato plant in another compost pile--I think the fruit look like Marianna's Peace--and tiny volunteer tomato plants in the veggie garden. There seem to be more volunteers than usual which I attribute to the weather.

The Grandpa Ott's morning glories reseeded themselves from last year and are growing like crazy on the fence on the west side of the garden. The purple hyacinth beans climbing the porch posts are blooming. I am seeing both balck-chinned hummers and ruby-throated hummers, although not in huge numbers.

The pond is full of frogs.....frogs, frogs, frogs everywhere. Between them and the tree frogs and the katydids, it is almost too loud at night to sleep!

We are seeing quite a lot of non-venomous snakes and, for once, not seeing venomous ones. Yippee!

I have virginia creeper everywhere, so thought I might see some virginia creeper sphinxes, but haven't. We have had quite a few clearwings. We have a billion dragonflies and (FINALLY) no mosquitoes.

I am harvesting peppers and tomatoes like crazy, and the herbs are all huge monsters....well,except for the dill and parsley which are being devoured by the cats.

I am starting to get a few large pumpkins here and there, but the melons are still quite small.

Everything that has been blooming all summer continues to bloom: zinnias, cosmos, 4 o'clocks, verbena bonariensis, marigolds, salvias in red, orange, white, purple, coral and blue, veronica, black-eyed susan vine, daturas (several different ones), pentas, scarlet runner beans, Chaco Canyon runner beans, sedum, begonias, cannas, tansy, catmint, nasturtiums, mexican heather, hibiscus coccinus, swamp mallow, portulaca, honeysuckle, crossvine, yellow and orange-flowered trumpet creeper, and sunflowers.

The pastures are full of blooms too, and I won't try to name them all, but all the usual summer prairie wildflowers are blooming, especially the partridge pea, black-eyed susans, Mexican hat, greenthread daisies and asters. The native goldenrods, autumn sage and blazing starts aren't blooming yet, but they are about to bloom. The milkweeds have all gone to seed as have a lot of the spring bloomers.

Can you believe it is the end of July already?

Dawn

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County