Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gulf Frits ---Sandy and Susan

Posted by lisa_h 7 OK (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 15:03

The gulf fritillaries have finally showed up!! I found a set of caterpillars last week and I gave them to a young family to raise. They told me they all went into their chrysalises and now they are waiting for the butterflies. I gave them some swallowtail cats a month or so ago too. Oh...speaking of, I need to post a pic and have you id one of them.

Today as I was pulling weeds, I watched the gulf frits dancing through my garden, laying eggs willy nilly.

Thank you so much for encouraging me to grow host plants! I'm really enjoying them!

Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gulf Frits ---Sandy and Susan

Lisa, so excited or you. Love the Gulf Frits. Can't wait til they make it to my place.

Sandy

o

Look what we spied in my garden today! My garden is full of gulf frits...best year EVER!

o

and a grown up pic :)

o

I like!!! Have seen one male, hoping they make it as the passion vine is out of control.

Sandy

o

Sandy I would share if I could! This has been a great year here for them. I must have swallowtails around because I have another set of babies, but I haven"t seen them.

o

That's OK, Lisa. I figure they'll make it up here eventually. Watched a Variegated Frit laying eggs today. And, I've released over a hundred Monarchs in the last two weeks. So I'm staying busy. Also have Spicebush chrysalides, Gorgone caterpillars, Goatweed Leafwing cats, Black Swallowtails, and Pipevines out the wazoo! And I forgot, a Cloudless Sulphur chrysalis! The garden is staying busy. Today the butts and the hummers were chasing each other, so I enjoyed watching them.

Sandy

o

Oh i haven't pipevine swallowtail in several years. I have food if they will show up again! It does sound like you are busy :)

o

I haven't seen many monarchs. I am growing asclepias and added more this year in hopes of catching a few.

It's amazing how different our areas are when we are not that far apart!

o

Susan and I often commented on that. Don't give up on the Monarchs. If there are easterly winds during migration, they could end up going down the center of the state. Today I found more Monarch eggs--14 of them. It ain't over yet!

BTW, have you talked to Susan lately? I need to call her.

o

No, I haven't talked to her since this early summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here