Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
101 in the shade...

Posted by mulberryknob z6OK (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 15:21

on the north side of the porch. First day to break 100 for us. Got to write it in the book.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 101 in the shade...

101 degrees is too hot, but we have broken a 100 many times this year. The wind we have helps evaporate the sweat, but it making everything as brown as toast.

o

Sorry to hear it Larry. And I know that many people close to me have already experienced 100. We are fortunate to have lots of shade around the house.

o

It was bound to happen sooner or later. I'm kinda surprised y'all haven't hit it before now.

Our highest so far this year is 105, which I think was a week ago Sunday. I was out harvesting all day because I had to get it done, and my family thought I had lost my mind.

It was only 102 here today, which is hot, but not as bad as that 105 was. We're consistently going 2 to 5 degrees higher than our closest Mesonet station, which also happened a lot last year. Some years our high temps have been almost identical to our mesonet station's, but not the last two years.

Everything is drying out really fast. We have brown bermuda grass, and it was a nice green shade only a couple of weeks ago.

I'm looking forward to next week's cooldown, if it actually occurs. Our local weather forecasters seem more and more certain it is going to happen. I'm not so convinced. We've had too many forecasted cooldowns fail to materialize. I'll wait and see what the forecast shows the day before.

Larry, The wind we have is mostly hot and unwelcome. I'd sure like a nice, cool breeze.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here