sorie6

plant id please

sorie6 zone 6b
9 years ago

I saw this along the road side today. Thanks

Comments (4)

• cowdiddly
    9 years ago

Can't remember but I would swear that looks like elderberry bushes. Makes awesome wine if it is,

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

I believe it is some kind of sumac. I don't know which ones are common up there in NE OK. Down here in SC OK, we have a couple of different kinds of sumac. The one growing on our property is called Smooth Sumac.

Cowdiddly, I did wonder if it might be elderberry, but the flowers aren't quite right. Elderberry has flatter flower clusters composted of many tiny 5-petaled flowers that almost have a star shape to them. Sumac has panicles like one in the photo. Our sumac bloomed 2 or 3 weeks ago here near the I-35 corridor, so it seems like they'd be blooming up there in NE OK by now.

Sorie, In the fall the sumac foliage turns a brilliant red. It is some of the prettiest fall foliage we have down here in my part of OK. The fruit turn a rusty red. There is a poison sumac, although it is in the poison ivy family and not actually a member of the sumac family.

Some nurseries, especially those that deal in native plants, have some sumac cultivars that are not as large as or as rampantly invasive as the native sumacs.

We have sumac growing right outside our kitchen window. We didn't plant it, and it wasn't here our first couple of years, so I guess the birds likely planted it for us. I love it. When I look out the window at the red foliage in autumn, it makes it feel like fall----even if it still is pretty warm and sweater weather is months away. Sumac does sucker and spread aggressively but mine is in a generally dry location, so it doesn't sucker and spread as much as it would in a wetter location.

The native sumacs on our property tend to be growing along fencelines or on the banks of creeks, or the east side of the woodland.

Dawn

• cowdiddly
    9 years ago

Yes now that you mention it the heads are not flat enough. and the leaf does looks like Sumac. We have red Sumac here it looks a little different but I think you are right is some kind of Sumac. Plus If memory serves me it seem that elderberrys have a fuzzier velvet type leaf.
    It amazing I did not recognize how it looks earlier in the year. When I am after it it has a head of red berrys like Milo. I use the the heads and make a wonderful homemade wood stain, I used it on a pirate chest I made out of old oak pallets and it looks awesome. Sometimes I mix it with Blackjack oak bark and use it to dye animal traps a darker brown.
    At any rate good catch as I would hate to have the guy trying to make wine out of poison sumac or something. YIKES. You will know if its Poison sumac latter if it makes small whitish berries similar to Hackberry/Sugarberry and then don't even get near the stuff unless you like a poison ivy type rash.

This post was edited by cowdiddly on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 23:07

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks