Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SVB eggs?

Posted by lisa_h 7 OK (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 16:02

Found this today on my zucchetta squash vine. I'm guessing they are SVB, right?

photo 20140727_135837.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SVB eggs?

I could be wrong, but I think that may be squash bug eggs. These are usually copper in color depending on age.

SVG eggs are usually red and a bit smaller and laid ....like everywhere seemingly randomly. My SVBs like to lay on the vines, flowers and near the nodes. My vines are covered in them. Ugh

o

I agree with Bon. Squash bug eggs. Remove and destroy them all and try to find the wicked, evil bug that laid them and kill her, and find her "husband" and kill him too. Find their friends and family and kill them. Kill them all. They spread disease, although all the C. moschata types I've ever grown, including zuchetta, grow so rampantly that they tend to overcome squash bug damage anyhow, and have great disease resistance too. If you don't kill every squash bug you can find, they'll keep laying more and more eggs daily forever and forever, and our first freeze is a long way off.

o

I was out a little while ago harvesting these eggs and I got too hot, came back inside and checked the temperature via Mesonet.

Dawn, I'm so sorry. Everything south of I-40 is at oven temps. I cannot complain. I won't burden you with our local temperatures. :(

o

huh. I am not sure I knew there was a difference. NOR did I know the adult form of SVB was a moth. Interesting. Thanks!

I can tell the cool front hit here this evening. It was almost unbearable at noon. Dawn, I hope it speeds its way to you!

o

You were right. Definitely squash bugs. Found them, uh, having fun this morning. I flicked them to the ground and tried to squish them. I need to take a jar of soapy water with me next time. Found a BUNCH of eggs. Squished the ones I found.

o

Nasty aren't they? Hard to see as they blend in the dirt. Some suggest placing some type of board at the base of the plant. They'll run for cover there and you can nab them.

I use needle-nose pliers to crush eggs. The nymphs are very easy to kill, but they are the most destructive.

This post was edited by ChickenCoupe on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 11:44

o

Bon, So, you noticed we were having a little heat? It was awful. Our poor air conditioner ran all day and all night, but it is getting a break this morning.

Instead of working out in the garden in the early morning hours, I just canned instead. There was no way I was going to do the canning in my usual afternoon time frame. The heat from canning truly would have made the house unbearable. The high at our house hit 108, but by then the dewpoint and relative humidity had dropped a lot since the morning hours so our heat index wasn't too bad at the same time that our high was at its max. I thought it felt much worse outside when we were in the mid-90s before noon and still had a pretty high dewpoint, than it felt later in the afternoon when it was hotter but a little drier.

I paid extra attention to the chickens because they get heat stressed on days like that. I fed them cucumbers and watermelons, ran a fan all day and night in their chicken coop, and even turned on the sprinkler for them when the high temp hit 106. They will play in the sprinkler like children, and when they get bored and wander off, the wild birds come and play in the mist from the sprinkler. Back when we had rabbits, I used to fill up liter bottles with water and freeze it. I'd put a frozen water bottle in each cage on a hot day and the rabbits could lay as close to it (or as far from it) as they wished in order to stay cooler. I even do that for the chickens on really hot days, but I didn't do it yesterday. I thought they'd like the sprinkler more (and they did).

A lot of the plants that looked really wilty and droopy yesterday afternoon look better this morning, but they sure don't look happy, and I don't blame them.

It took forever to cool off. At 11 p.m. the outside temperature was 89 degrees and the heat index was 99 and by midnight, each had dropped only 1 degree. We really didn't cool off much until around 4 a.m when a little line of rain showers ran through our county. It didn't rain here at out house, but we finally dropped from the 80s to the 70s.

If we weren't getting this cool front this week, I think my garden would be toast and I could declare the summer garden season over by the end of the week. I water as often as I think I reasonably can (and I am dreading the arrival of the July water bill, for sure), but once you have those kinds of temperatures combined with Extreme Drought, irrigation alone isn't going to keep the garden producing. So far, so good, in terms of production, but if we were having an endless run of days like yesterday, there would be no point in continuing to water the annual plants. I would, of course, keep watering the perennials. Maybe with this week's cooler temperatures, and if we luck out and get some rain (no matter what they forecast, it generally misses us or we get a few hundredths of an inch instead of inches, or even tenths of inches), maybe the garden will hang on for another week. Early August is always the worst part of the summer weather for us down here, but maybe this cool spell will give us a couple of good days before we have to face the early August weather.

On the bright side of the news, when I scanned my garden this morning I saw no sign of SVBs or squash bugs or their eggs. Maybe the sunshine and heat the last few days has roasted and toasted them.

All the herbs and flowers are in bloom and we have bees, wasps, flies, butterflies and moths galore, so I'm wondering if some of the predatory insects may be preying upon the SVBs for me. I have left the yellow summer squash and zucchini uncovered for about the last month and they both are still alive....and that is not normal, especially since I had seen the SVB moths around back in June and early July. It is rare to see them at that point and not have them around for a second generation, so I still think they will show up.

Lisa, My new favorite way to remove squash bug eggs involves turning lifting them off the leaf with a lint roller. It's been working really well.

Y'all, I was looking at the grasshoppers last week, and thinking maybe their population has peaked and is dropping....but that doesn't mean we don't have too many. Just that we have a little less than the week before.

If I could tell for sure their population was dropping, I might get bold and daring and decide to plant beans for fall. I'm tearing out two more rows of tomato plants (paste types) today, so I'd have space for beans. It is stupid to plant beans when the current plants have been stripped and eaten down to the ground repeatedly all summer long, but maybe the hopper population will drop and a new round of beans will have a chance.

Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here