Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Breaking News: Logan County Wildfire-Mulhall

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
11 years ago

For all you in and near Logan County, KOCO is reporting a large wildfire near Mulhall.

I've linked the story, and I hope none of you and your property are in the path of this fire.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: KOCO News Story on Mulhall Fire

Comments (6)

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

Oh crap. 15-25 mph winds, too. Looks like all the FD in the area are tapped out.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've been watching it carefully. There are other available resources in addition to local departments. In Oklahoma, we have quite a few BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs) firefighters who often respond to fires across the state when needed. The Oklahoma Forestry Service can send engines, dozers and personnel if needed. Different counties have put together their own task forces that can respond when the OFS puts out the word that help is needed. In some cases, when needed and when appropriate, there are some small tanker planes or choppers available that can drop water and fire retardant. Their ability to respond sometimes is hampered or prevented by high winds.

One year, McClain County showed up with a caravan of about 15 fully manned firetrucks, their command post and all kinds of firefighters to help us with a big, fast-moving wildfire that was surrounding homes in a rural area. We were literally fighting house to house to save the homes. Those firefighters from McClain drove at least 100 miles to help us, and we were deeply touched, deeply grateful and it is my fervent hope that we will be able to repay them by going to their aid someday if they need help.

The important thing for residents is just to watch, be aware of the fire location relative to their location and be prepared to evacuate. When there is a fire near us, I usually turn on a sprinkler and begin watering the two sides of the house that the fire would approach first if it was moving our way. (I'd rather be watering the garden, but gardeners need houses to live in, so I protect the house first.)

I hope the firefighters there are able to contain this fire. The wind bothers me, but it isn't nearly as serious of a situation as it would be if the wind were in the 40s or 50s.

Dawn

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In the last week, there's been quite a few pretty large wildfires. This afternoon there's also been large wildfires near Owasso and Tishomingo.

I guess it is that time of the year again.

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

That was so awesome of McClain County. I hope this season is mostly uneventful and also very short. It's amazing how much work firefighters and organizations actually put in every year while inner city people remain unaware they just kept the fire from burning down their homes. Left unattended these fires would clear half the state like the one today.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think it was the year before last, although maybe it was last year and my memory is just faulty, we sent a brush truck and 2 firefighters to the Lawton (Comanche County) area to help fight a very large wildfire. I think it may have been the most fun my son has ever had at a wildfire because it was such a challenging one to fight and he loves a challenge. For that fire, firefighters from all over the state rushed to Lawton to help when it became apparent that they needed every bit of help they could get.

There is a very large wildfire in Comanche County this morning. At last report it was 10,000-12,000 acres and also was burning in part of Kiowa County, and 75-100 homes near Gotebo were evacuated. There are 17 fire department and 6 task forces on the scene. Naturally my son, who is a professional firefighter and also a volunteer firefighter in his free time, is hoping our county's task force will be activated and he'll be able to go to Lawton and help fight that fire. Our fire chief (my DH) may not let our VFD send anyone though. We've already had one grassfire here this morning. That's the price we had to pay to get a very small rain shower.

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

My g*d. I can understand why he's insisting they stay back. I remember you were swamped with helping the fighters stay cool last year. It was the first opportunity I've had to realize how much goes on every summer.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus