Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moschata varieties are worth it.

Posted by newhippie 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 16:33

This year I planted lemon squash, tatume squash, and rampicante, (which is just now starting to form fruit.)
Some of the vines look pretty bad, like they still got hit by SVB, but they are still producing, so I am gonna keep watering til they keel over.
I haven't seen near as many bugs this year, last year it was like a horror movie, I had planted all the regular summer squash and zucchini.
Today I put up 5 quarts of lemon squash, and we ate our first tatume. There are many on the vines that will continue to go in the freezer. Since tomatoes have been such a disappointment, I am grateful for these squash. I will plant them again based on their reliability. And I thank this forum for the recommendations.
I do have about ten regular squash-pattypan and zucs, that are about to ripen, and I am scouting and killing eggs and bugs. I planted them late, so I hope I can at least a few vegetables before they are decimated.
I can't wait til fall when I can use the frozen squash in soups.
Jammie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moschata varieties are worth it.

Rampicante is slow and the vine is huge, but it is worth the wait. Mine was later than usual this year and we ate the first one yesterday. The vine has gone up a cattle panel arch and down the other side making it already 16 feet long. It had a ton of male blossoms before it began to set fruit, but it is going now.

Last year I pampered summer squash plants through Spring and Summer and they all died before I got the first squash. They were in the ground and heavily mulched. The year before I had them in containers and didn't have a bug problem. This year I didn't even bother with the other summer squash and just planted rampicante.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here