Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littledog_gw

Plant sale in Shawnee

littledog
16 years ago

They say timing is everything. Stopped by Kmart yesterday as they were in the process of shutting down the garden center for the season; everything was being loaded up and moved outside by a great young man who was happy to pick up a five foot Banana tree @ $5.72 and put it in my basket, and then located a second basket for me for the four foot Vitex @ $4.57 I just couldn't pass up. As could be expected, there are some plants that look a bit mangy, and even a few that could be considered beyond hope, but the vast majority that I saw last night have been relatively well taken care of and would do fine. IOW, they had alot of great, healthy plants left. With the wind picking up, and the clouds getting darker by the minute, I was looking over the selection as the manager was telling the young man where he wanted things put. I asked the prices on a few items and he said that unless it's specifically marked, everything is 75% off. (uh huh. 75%)

The race was on, me against the sky threatening, and then delivering a good, old fashioned, thunderstorm complete with driving rain and lightning. Needless to say, I had a blast.

After we checked out, DD wasn't sure about where we were going to put two carts worth of plants, but I tell her these are the things we'll laugh about twenty years from now. Actually, we were laughing about it then; not too many people are so obsessive they will stand in the pouring rain stuffing plants into a sedan. Oh,and did I mention we'd just been to the feed store and had 2 bags of corn and oats, plus a bag of Chaff hay that took up one whole floorboard and part of the seat?

Well, along with the feed and the lush, spreading Vitex, we managed to pack the back seat of the Buick with:

1 virbinum eastern snowball

3 cape fuschia (blooming)

1 firewitch dianthus (blooming)

1 blue fescue

1 spirea anthony waterer (blooming)

1 hosta royal standard (blooming)

1 concord grape

1 gallon sword fern

(All in 1 and 2 gallon sized pots. Tucked in all the nooks and crannies were the quart size pots)

4 japanese painted ferns

2 caladiums

1 hardy geranium

2 patio tomatoes

1 big leaf basil

Once the rain slacked off a bit, we carefully laid the banana in the trunk, and I rode home with a lush blooming Kolanche in my lap. Including the banana and Vitex, the average cost per plant was right at $1.00 each.

I wish I'd also picked up some of the coral bells, or the tropical palms. (I figured it would be a good idea to give ourselves enough room to drive home without a frond poking us in the eye)

Because we'd stopped off to eat before driving on home, we got everything unloaded and set out in the pot ghetto just before the second big wave of storms hit Bowlegs.

Like I said, timing is everything.

Comments (3)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    16 years ago

Hi Little Dog,

Well, it must have been fun to pick up all those goodies!

What I am wondering is...why don't you have a pick-up truck??? lol

I hope the weather stays dry long enough for you to get everything into the ground soon.

I love plant sales, but our ground is too wet to even think of planting anything yet, so I can't let myself go near a plant sale right now. I already have way too many things in pots STILL waiting to go into the ground.

I don't suppose you made a return trip today to see if they had any coral bells or tropical palms left????

Happy planting,

Dawn

• littledog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually, we have two trucks; one full sized, one mid sized, but we decided to take the car to save on gas. We *knew* the feed and chaff hay would fit, and really hadn't planned on trying to clear the parking lot at a plant sale. I didn't make it back up there yesterday as it seems I have lost my glasses. (That's one way to make sure I stay home and get stuff done...VBG)

Sure hope someone in the area manages to get by and take advantage; lots of outdoor shrubs left, and those palms were just lush.

I do know what you mean about having things waiting to be planted. I have a rather nice little pot ghetto (or two, or three) situiated in the shade with all kinds of goodies waiting for us to move the fence back and terrace the north side of the yard. Still, the ground here is so sandy that it doesn't pack down like a clay based soil. So far, I've been able to get away with pulling weeds or planting a few things everyday, as long as my feet don't sink into the mud too far. If I keep at it, by August I'll get everything into the ground, but it looks like the weeding isn't going to be caught up until November.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    16 years ago

Isn't it sad that we all are still working to get our "spring planting" done and it is already July?

I have about 250 plants in containers of various sizes that should be in the ground by now. A lot of them are annuals which I started from seed. If they don't make it into the ground, the world won't end. They look pretty good considering a lot of them are root-bound and are only in 4" pots or plastic Dixie cups.

I have been trying to get the shrubs and perennials into the soggy ground when I can. Since it has rained almost every day in July, though, it is really slow going.

I have about 70 containers which have various hot peppers, sweet peppers and tomato plants that never made it into the ground. The tomato plants are in very large containers and have been producing ripe tomatoes for quite a while. The peppers have produced some ripe peppers and have many more in various sizes and stages of ripening. I had hoped to eventually get the peppers into the ground, but now think I will leave them in the containers as they are fairly large and wouldn't appreciate being transplanted at this point.

I also have a lot of coleus, ornamental sweet potatoe vines and pentas in pots. They were originally intended to go into the ground, but I may just leave them where they are.

In general, I prefer having the plants in the ground, as they dry out so much faster in the pots (most years). With all the rain, though, I have only had to water them a couple of times.

I have never had a year where it was so wet that we couldn't plant.

Now I have to figure out what to do with the fall tomato plants I have raised from seed. It is time to plant them now, so I need to decide....wet ground? 10-gallon grow bags? containers?? Whatever I decide, I won't be doing it today. Rain is expected, again, and we have thunder now, so the rain must be getting closer.

How wet is my yard? When I walk in it wearing flip-flops, the shoes make a 'sucking sound' as if the mud is trying to suck the shoes under and into the mud, and when I yank my foot out of the mud, mud and water fly up and splatter all over my clothing. At this point, it is better to just stay inside. :(