Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maybe now the tomatoes will set??

Posted by redding (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 17:26

Yippee! We just got a tiny amount of rain. Probably not more than 1/4", but within the past your the temp has dropped from 102 down to 81. There's still the possibility of another quick storm moving across later on, but the overnight low is supposed to be about 75 degrees. My tomatoes are covered with bloom. I just hope that the drop in temp will allow some of them to set. The Sweet 100 seem to be coping with it better than any of the others, but I think I only have 2 or 3 fruit total on 10 of the Golden Girl and Golden Boy. Last year the Golden Girl were loaded.

Has anyone else gotten any rain?

Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maybe now the tomatoes will set??

no rain here yet most of it just skirted past us. It has cooled down a bunch.

o

I hope your tomatoes will set now. We're getting some rain. Thunderstorms have been complaining for about an hour. I went outside, stared at the clouds and yelled, "Give it up or quit rumbling!"

o

Judging from the weather swings we have had so far this year, maybe you should get out the frost blankets.

o

What we got was a total of probably 3/4", but it was quite well behaved about it. It rained a little and quit for about 30 minutes. Did it again and quit again, and then it poured! The temp dropped 20 degrees within the hour. I shot outside as soon as it quit and began pulling weeds, quick while the soil was soft enough for them to come up easily. The temp may be a whole lot lower, but boy, did the humidity ever go up.

It's still a treat to walk out to the garden over grass stubble that doesn't crunch.

Pat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here