Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sorie6

weed id please

sorie6 zone 6b
10 years ago

Here's some weeds that are in my garden. I'm sure I will have to put them in seperate posts sorry.

Comments (21)

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

more!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

please

This post was edited by sorie6 on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 18:00

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

almost done ;0

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

#6 Whew!! Thanks. If pics aren't clear enough I'll take more.

This post was edited by sorie6 on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 18:02

• Erod1
    10 years ago

3 looks like nutgrass. It is a...... Well, a devil to get rid of. Ive found nothing to kill it and it goes deep. They say pour sigar on it the lightly mist with water and the sugar will kill it, but i dont know if its true. I can tell you roundup wont kill it.

5 is clover.

4 and 6 i have seen and actually get it from time to time but dont know the name. 6 is easy to get rid of, just pull it.. It pulls easy, just wear gloves

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

5 is actually oxalis, a plant with clover-like leaves. I believe 6 is wild lettuce. I think 4 is a knotweed and 1 is dayflower. And 2 may be cudweed.

• Erod1
    10 years ago

Mulberry, does wild lettuce have thorny stems and leaves? That pic looks like the stuff i get sometimes that is very prickly.

I never knew the name of number 5, thanks for the ID. We always call it clover in the hay pasture.

Thanks, i learned something here every time i come on.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

There is a weed killer for nutgrass. I am trying it out this year. So far it looks like it might be working, but it is not an overnight sort of thing. Image is the name I normally hear, but I couldn't find it in a spray form when I was looking.

This might be the one I am using....

Here is a link that might be useful: Nutsedge/Nutgrass killer

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Yes wild lettuce has prickles, but not as much as the thistles. I looked at pictures of both thistles and wild lettuce to identify that as they look similar. I do think that is wild lettuce that has been mowed down. Usually it puts up one central bloom stalk that can get very tall. (Up to 12 ft if there is a dead dog lying at the base of it.) Wild lettuce can also have that bluish-green look about it.

The oxalis is a pretty little weed; there are species that have white, pink and yellow flowers in the wild. And I have a lovely cultivated variety with bright burgundy leaves and flowers. Another has green and burgundy leaves with red flowers. They are perrenials and develop small tubers.

• oldbusy1
    10 years ago

Another name for #5 is sheep shower

• oldbusy1
    10 years ago

Another name for #5 is sheep shower

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

It took me three or four years to dig all the nutsedge out of my big garden, and every now and then a new plant still pops up, undoubtedly from seed from all the nutsedge on the edge of the woods and in the pastures.

To get it out, I had to dig as far down as 7-9" to find the nutlets and remove them. I didn't even attempt to compost them either. I put those nutlets in the trash to go to the dump.

Lisa, I remember when they first introduced Image, which I am guessing was in the 1990s....might have been the 1980s. I tried it on our St. Augustine lawn in our backyard and it didn't work very well at all. I think I made two applications that year, and decided I wasn't going to buy any more of it as it was very expensive back then and I didn't find it very effective.

Now that Image has been around longer, they have learned it can take repeated applications of it for several years in order to get rid of all the nutsedge. That's something we didn't know when it first came out.

I'm linking an article from Neil Sperry's "Gardens and More" magazine that gives great information on nut sedge so that anyone who hasn't battled nut sedge before can see what lies ahead.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Nut Sedge

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info Dawn. I'm not liking what I read about the nut sedge. Like all gardening it will be a challenge!

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

I have these prickly lettuce stalks standing 6 foot tall. I haven't been able to get out there and pull them up. Crazy stuff.

#6 made me think off prickly lettuce. Rabbits will eat some of it. That oxalis is very invasive.

Because I haven't been able to mow often I'm suffering under a bind weed invasion including one of the raised beds. It must be moved and the area destroyed from bindweed. It's awful.

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

We've been battling bindweed (wild morning glory) for 30 years. No matter how much I pull out by the roots one year, more comes up the next. I HATE having to go into the asparagus when the stalks are 6 ft tall and very thick in order to pull bindweed, but if I didn't, it would cover the bed. Putting a very thick mulch on the bed has helped with most weeds, but bindweed comes right through it.

• thebadmonkey
    10 years ago

I buy and use a weed/grass/everything killer when all else fails. You just need to be careful not to spray it on what you don't want to kill.

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

The cudweed in photo two is a host plant for the American Lady butterfly. If you see nests of leaves webbed together, that is where the caterpillars live. If you open the nest you may find a caterpillar and lots of frass, which is caterpillar poop. Even though this is a weed, I kind of like leaving it for the butterflies. And there is lots of it at the acreage.

Sandy

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

butterflymomok,

How big does cudweed get? I think you may have ID'd one I have growing in what is now a large clump. I left it because it had interesting blue fuzzy foliage and I also thought it was paperflower at first, but it soon showed it wasn't. Its now about 2 ft high, thick and rather pretty, in my eyes at least. The strangest part is it smells like one of those flavored coffees, rather strongly in fact in the evening or when you brush up against it. I kept trying to google coffee smell/wildflower/native but all I can seem to pull up is page after page of hiding the smell of marijuana with coffee. I keep waiting for blooms to ID it.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I googled dayflower and they showed them all with blue flowers. this one has white flowers Do they have some with white or is it something different? thanks.

• thebadmonkey
    10 years ago

Its difficult for me to view and identify some of these pictures but to answer the question about dayflowers.. mine have always been blue which is the normal but I have heard of white ones. If you have white then feel special.