Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hannah9_gw

Anyone recommend Triomphe De Farcy beans?

hannah9
13 years ago

I've been digging through the bean posts, but can't find much info on growing Triomphe De Farcy green beans in Oklahoma.

Whole Foods sells this bean at $6 for a 16 oz bag, which is $$$ for our budget.

Does this bean grow and produce well in Oklahoma?

In the fall, I'd like to plant Kentucky Wonder and Triomphe De Farcy. But maybe Triomphe De Farcy is a bad idea?

My bush beans aren't producing too well in this heat. I'm hoping to have better luck in the fall! ; )

Comments (6)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Hannah9,

Maybe no one here has grown Triomphe De Farcy, but every regular bush bean I've ever planted here in OK has grown and produced just fine in spring and fall and I've grown all kinds, including many Italian varieties. I've even grown some with similar striping to Triophe De Farcy and they produced well too. However, wax beans do not produce as well for me, and some daylength-sensitive beans produce late, but that doesn't apply in your situation.

If you've got your eye on them and want to try them, then I say go for it. They're probably as well adapted to OK as any other. You also might want to ask at the Bean, Pea and Legume Forum if any hot climate gardeners there have grown it. There'a lot of folks there who have grown many, many, many kinds of beans.

Good Luck with it! (If you grow that variety, be sure to come back later and tell us how they performed for you.)

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: GW's Beans, Peas and Other Legumes Forum

• hannah9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Dawn! I will give them a try and let you all know how it goes.

That's interesting about the wax beans. I'll avoid them since I'm trying to stick with easy-to-grow crops. ; )

If all goes well with the Triomphe De Farcy, I'll attempt to save seeds for anyone interested in trying them next year.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Hannah,

I have tried wax beans several times, and from seeds planted in March, April, May and June. The plants grow about half as tall and wide as they should, and I get very few beans. I don't know if it is our soil they don't like, or our weather, but for some reason wax beans just don't like it here at our place. Someone else may have a totally different experience with them, but for me they were just duds.

Dawn

• Brassica_Nut
    11 years ago

Hi,

I stumbled upon 'Triomphe de Farcy' on sale and tried them this year. They slowed down a bit in the summer heat (high 90sF and high humidity), but resumed production later in the summer, blooming and bearing until November. Their most remarkable attribute was the complete lack of strings, despite neglect during the middle of summer. Another variety that I planted was horrible in comparison for turning tough and stringy despite regular picking.

'Triomphe de Farcy' will receive more space in the 2013 garden!

Happy gardening :-)

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

I know a lot of people love Kentucky Wonder, but several of use that live in the part of the State that has Japanese Beetles have noted that they are beetle magnets. The bettles go for the grape vines and Kentucky Wonder beans every time.

• swhitemanpastels
    5 years ago

My family has been planting this heirloom variety of bean since the 1940s, starting with my grandparents. The bean are amazing and flavorful. We lived in upstate NY, which has a rocky well aerated soil, my dad would put composted manure on the garden each year and till it in, and we'd have bumper crops of everything. So with the right soil, and planted at the right times (45 days to maturity) they'll do well and they're delicious. NY gets hot and humid summers too. If you have clay, test the pH, add lime if needed, and add something to make it less dense.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES