Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when are White Wonders ripe?

Posted by Sancho_Panza_OK 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 18:15

Has anyone grown White Wonder cucumbers from Seed Savers? I'm trying them this year but I'm not sure when it's best to harvest them so they don't get bitter. I picked this one today and it's about 5.5" long - too soon? too late? What's the best indicator with this variety? Any input is welcome, because the vines still have a lot of blossoms!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when are White Wonders ripe?

Technically, you can harvest them and use them at any size up to a point....with that point being the one where they get big and very seedy. With White Wonder, the cukes are usually at the perfect degree of maturity when they're about 6-8" long and 2-2.5" wide. The white will have a yellowish tint. They might not get that big without adequate irrigation or rainfall. If you cut into one and it is very, very seedy, you harvested too late. That doesn't mean it isn't usable, just that it is past its peak.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here