Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redding_gw

Can't find heirloom bean seeds

redding
12 years ago

Okay, I give up. I'm trying to locate some heirloom bush Italian bean seeds that we used to grow, and I've just about exhausted all possibilities. It would help if I actually knew the correct way of spelling the name, but I don't. This is what it sounds like. Be-chee-cha. Or Ba-chee-cha. Anyway, it's close.

They are a prolific wide bean that's much like a Roma, and with the most wonderful flavor. The plants seem to tolerate heat quite well. My mother got the seeds from a friend 25 years ago and we kept them going until just a couple of years ago, when family illness and other priorities caused the last of them to disappear.

Does anyone have the slightest clue of what I mean? Have you ever seen or heard of them? I would be most appreciative of any suggestions. If I ever do manage to find any, I think I'll store some in a vault, just so they never get lost again.

Pat

Comments (3)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    12 years ago

Pat,

Since there are thosands of varieties of the common bean, your odds of finding one when you're not even sure of its name are probably fairly slim.

Your best chance probably would be to join the Seed Savers Exchange. Becoming a member would give you access, via the yearbook, to the vast number of bean varieties maintained by SSE's members and by SSE itself. I think that at any given time, SSE members are maintaining about 2000-2200 varieties of beans. That's a lot more varieties than you'll find available commercially. I think the last copy of the "Garden Seed Inventory" book listed maybe 700 varieties available commercially and that was quite some time ago that I saw that number.

You might try the website of Seeds From Italy, which is the U.S. supplier of Franchi-Sementi Seeds (from Italy). I grow a lot of beans that I got from Seeds From Italy, and the broad Roma-types are our favorite, but I don't recall a name similar to the one you're searching for.

You also might try asking this question on the Legume forum here at GW, Some of the bean fanatics there might know just which bean you're talking about.

Finally, to maintain the seed, you not only have to store it, but have to keep growing it and keep replenishing your seed supply. If stored properly, the average bean seed will maintain 50% germination for four years, so to keep a healthy seed supply and good germination, you need to grow some beans for seed stock every few years. Sometimes you can get bean seed that is very, very old to germinate, but that tends to be the exception rather than the rule.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeds From Italy

• redding
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, Dawn. Actually, my spelling of the name wasn't that far off. It's Bachicha. I found them listed on a USDA site. Seems they were one of the parents of the Roma II bean. I like Roma, but I like the old Bachicha even better. My mother's supply of seed is gone, and so is the supply of the guys she originally got it from. Other life events got in the way and the seeds all got used up without setting aside any new ones.

However, I may be on the track of some seed. After searching practically forever, I found a farm in MT that's a members of the Local Growers group (as I am here in OK), and they grow the beans. I sent them a note to ask if they'd possibly consider selling some seed. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from them. I hope they agree to it. I really, really want that seed!

Pat

• judypituti
    9 years ago

My name is Judy. I was introduced to Bachicha Beans by an Italian woman I took care of in Stockton CA. "Rosie" taught me about so many food and life skills. I was with her til her last day and treasure her memory.

Stockton, Ca is in the San Joaquin Valley in California and home to many crops. We would visit friends she grew up who own and operate a wonderful year round fruit stand. Rosie and I woud go pick up a pound or 2 or Bachicha beans weekly while in season. After she died I could not quit wanting for those tender green beans. They are so in demand that I had to reserve them days in advance so that I didn't drive 75 miles just to hear they ran out. So last year I called them and asked where i might buy seeds to grow my own and they had seeds there at the fruit stand. My first attempt to grow anything ever! What a wonderful crop of beans I grew. This year I took a kiddie pool and drilled holes in the bottom and 2 bags of soil and was surpised at how well the beans are growing. I harvested my first beans last night and can not wait to cook them tonight!!! So anyone looking for seeds can contact the following fruit stand and maybe they can ship to you....

In operation since 1947, THE FRUIT BOWL continues to provide the freshest and the best of local produce, ... 8767 East Waterloo Road Stockton, CA, 95215 (209) 931-1196

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert