Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

nws fire weather watch for tues, n & w ok

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
11 years ago

Here's a heads-up for an increased fire risk on Tuesday in portions of northern and western OK.

The text of the Fire Weather Watch is linked below. It includes a listing of affected counties.

Watch your local NWS forecast for updates or possible changes to the Fire Weather Watch.

Hopefully none of you in the watch counties will have wildfire problems, but remember that the same conditions (high temps, low humidity, moderate to high wind) that lead to a Fire Weather Watch also are stressful for your plants, so give your plants an extra-long drink of water in preparation for Tuesday if you can.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Text of Fire Weather Watch

Comments (6)

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Dawn, our little family is pretty much "off grid" so unless it's a tornado siren (like, right out our window! lol) or visible on the internet (our window to the outside world) or, literally visible out a window we don't know it's happening. A friend of ours, military (on stand-by for reserve duty possibly concerning the fires) stopped by to advise us we're surrounded by three different fires (payne co) with one about 20 miles south of us and headed this way. The sky darkens as I type. We can smell it in the air. He said "They say it's bad if the fire trucks leave town and they just did." I'm looking for a direct source to find out information and I haven't the faintest clue where to look for updated info. I know that sounds crazy, but we just don't worry too much about things.

Jared did mention they will utilize the tornado sirens in the event they perform evacuations. I don't think we're under any imminent threat, but just in case. Never been in a fire scenario and I'm disheartened to hear about it. I'm peeved as it is likely ARSON considering it's 3 different blazes but too soon to judge. Out here it is usually arson or cigarette butts. I've never seen three cigarette butt fire starts at once. Someone has been an idiot, most likely.

We're just outside Ripley, btw (15-20 south of Stillwater). Come to think of it; must be out near the airport ... um.. gee... the name... Cushing Municipal Airport?

Of course I have a cell phone but I'm certainly not going to bother anyone via that route. Any online advisory boards?

I hope everything isn't burning away anywhere else.
    bon

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bon, If y'all have a weather radio with the alert feature, most county emergency management officials will ask the NWS to set off the warning alert tone when a fire evacuation is ordered. Otherwise, check tomorrow with your local emergency management officials or the fire department (paid or volunteer) nearest to you to see if they have a notification system. Some counties have a reverse-9-1-1 system that calls residents to alert them when something like this is occurring. In some counties, you have to sign up to get these alerts. In others, it robocalls all the residents. Some county emergency management officials tweet out news like this.

All I can suggest is you listen to your weather radio or local media for instructions.

It always is advisable to have an emergency evacuation plan and a "go bag" ready for each person, including your most important family papers and medications.

If you have animals, have their pet crate or leash, food, etc. packed and ready to go.

With the weather we are having now, every one of us needs to have a plan, and a back-up plan, on how we'll leave our property QUICKLY in the event a wildfire is moving our way. You should, if possible, have two ways off your property. Last year, our next door neighbor put a big cattle gate in the fence between his place and ours, so now we both have two ways to leave--via our own driveway, or by driving across a pasture and through that gate to the other adjoining property. Hopefully, we'll only use the cattle gate for cattle, but it is nice to have that as an option.

Despite my years of involvement with our VFD, last year was the first time I seriously had to figure out how I could evacaute myself and our pets if I was home alone. It wouldn't be easy, but I wouldn't leave them behind.

The scary thing about fire is how spotting occurs, where new fires start from embers blown ahead of the advancing fire line. Wind-driven fire is more dangerous than wildfire on a calm day with low wind, but remember that fires create their own wind and own weather.

If I hear anything about Payne County, I'll let you know. I usually rely upon the Oklahoma Forestry Service, NWS or local media for anything outside my own county. For my county, I have the fire radio, of course.

If your county has a website online that they keep updated, check it.

Good luck. Just keep your eyes and ears open and be prepared to flee at literally a minute's notice. Usually, when the call comes to evacuate ahead of the fire, you must leave without a minute's hesitation. That's why you need Go bags packed and ready to grab and go. Most people who perish in a fire do so because they do not heed the warning to evacuate immediately.

When my county evacuates, the word goes out on the weather radio, the fire/police radios, etc. Anyone with a scanner can hear the radio traffic and know what's happening even before the weather alert is sounded. Our EM director also texts out news like that via nexle.com. Check with your county tomorrow to see if they use that or a similar service to keep their residents in the loop. Fire Departments may or may not have time to sound the storm sirens at their stations (not all departments have those) to warn residents because they all may already by out in the field fighting the fire.

Probably you and I will not be able to figure out any other way tonight for you to find out what is going on, but tomorrow would be a good time to find out your options for future fires.

There are and have been several large fires the last few days, including a 140 acre one in LeFlore County, a 500 acre one in Johnston County, and a big one now in its third day in Creek County. I'd say the summer fire season is upon us, ready or not.

Dawn

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tim uses the below website to pick up our local county radio dispatches when he is not at home. He can get them on his phone or computer and says the price is right,....FREE. lol

Using this feature, he can hear what's going on in our county as he's driving home from work, which pleases him because that way he knows if we're out at a fire--where we are, how it is going, etc.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Radio Reference

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for that, Dawn. For a spell it just freaked me out because I've never considered it and was caught completely off guard. Jared did call back after driving around and advised us the world isn't going to end, but we really need to resolve this particular little notification issue and become more prepared. Heck, we don't even have a place to go! I'll check tomorrow to find out all this stuff and where the local shelter is. We're small here but I'm certain they have a determined method to warn everyone and evac plans. I need to familiarize myself with the Oklahoma Forestry Service, NWS so I won't be lost when I may need it the most.

I pray everyone is okay and it's just grass. Jared is level-headed and he wouldn't have stopped by if it were not serious. So, i hope it's not as horrible as my mind is making it out to be.

I cringe when I see a delay in your posts for fear you're out supporting those who are fighting a horrendous fire. As much as you may cringe I'd rather you be standing over a hot stove sweating while canning even more tomatoes and the fire fighters are safe. I hope ours are okay.

Blessings
    bon

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

It looks like the fire(s) in reference is the Creek Co fire on the border of Payne Co. as an article mentioned nearby Drumright authorities were involved.

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

bump