Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The heat, watering and mildew.....

Posted by kfrinkle 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 7, 11 at 19:36

So, I had been watering every other day in this heat. Due to the size of some of my squash and cucumber plants, which are interspersed throughout the garden, I noticed that there was still some moisture under the leaves at the start of the next watering cycle, so I decided to try a 3-day cycle instead. Boy did I pick the wrong three days to do that. I walked out in the later afternoon to see nearly every single plant wilted to the ground. Even the okra was starting to droop. Now, the original reason I went to three day cycles was because I was getting powdery mildew on my summer squash/zucchini leaves! Any ideas on how to keep the garden watered, but avoid the mildew?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The heat, watering and mildew.....

Water with soaker hoses or drip irrigation lines that put the moisture down into the ground and not up onto the leaves.

o

I think I will have to bite the bullet and get a drip system. I have about 300 ft of rows, and something like this:

http://www.dripdepot.com/119

would probably do the trick... *sigh*

o

kfrinkle, I tried that Premium Drip Irrigation Kit last year, not the worth of money and effort. Main problem was water leaking excessively at the connectors, where T-tape meet Main line. Secondly you cannot make loop (curved) with T-tape. I am not using that kit any more. Now I am using rubber-soaker hoses (@$10.97 for 50ft at HD) which is much flexible and provide very uniform irrigation. Presently connecting sokaer series to garden hose, but will build PVC line to each bed later when i get time.

o

Thanks for the heads up. Perhaps I will work on acquiring the soaker hoses instead. I assume one other advantage of just using soaker hoses is that they are more movable...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here