Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnolia grandiflora in OK

Posted by nikkie_in_toronto (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 3, 11 at 19:42

Hi. I'm actually writing from Cleveland Ohio and used to travel to the Tulsa area for work back in the 1990's. I am experimenting with various Magnolia grandifloras here in Ohio with very good success, though our winters along Lake Erie have been fairly mild lately. I know that many of you had a very cold winter and read where temps were between -10 and -20 in certain areas. I remember seeing some very nice Magnolias in the Tulsa area years ago. What happened to them after this past winter? Did they defoliate? Were certain cultivars hardier than others? I'm sorry to interupt your forum but I was very curious in that I've been experimenting with them this far north. Thank you! Nikkie.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnolia grandiflora in OK

Nikki, it actually got to -28 here where I am a few days in a row. None of the Magnolias here suffered, none that I have seen anyway. Nothing lost foliage and they are all blooming and have been for a few months. I think the trick for you might be in the time of year that you plant. Do you know of anyone in your area that has a Magnolia tree? That might be the best route for you to take, finding out if anyone has one and how they got it to grow.

Good Luck

E

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here