Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwilk42

Box Car Willie

mwilk42
11 years ago

I am growing Box Car Willie for the first time. I have yet to get an edible tomato from it since all the tomatoes have BER. I have it from time to time on the pear shapes, but this is the first on a round tomato. It is right in the center of the other tomatoes that do not have it. Anyone else find it to be problematic? I know that I am the only person in 3 counties that cannot grow Celebrity, so maybe it is a similar issue.

Have made 2 batches of Annie's salsa and have dehydrated several sheets of cherry tomatoes. The garden is looking a bit sad. And that makes me sad.

LOL

mo

Comments (9)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Mo, I have grown it several times and it has performed well some years and only okay other years, but I do not remember ever seeing it have BER. However, I think I mostly was growing it in moderately wet to very wet years.

When I've grown it, it usually has produced well, though very late in the summer. I don't have a lot of patience with late types because often about the time they start producing, the heat goes crazy and shuts them down. That's why I stopped growing Box Car Willie. This year I was able to get all the tomatoes in the ground fairly early, so the late types even produced ripe fruit in June, which was a real treat.

When it produced, I liked the tomatoes fine. They're supposed to be in the 10-16 oz. range but for me they mostly were in the 6-8 oz. range which I attribute to the heat in which they're developing. Their color was fine, their flavor was fine, but they just weren't anything real special--just another round, reddish-orange tomato.

It's been a great tomato year in many parts of the state, but once the temps are hitting 100 and above every day, the plants go south pretty quickly. I'll been yanking tomato plants out of the ground this week (and it isn't easy because they still have some developing fruit on them), and when I'm done, I'll start planting fall crops in their place. I'll keep a few, but I won't expect much from them until fall.

Dawn

• Macmex
    11 years ago

When we moved from NJ to Tahlequah, I had a good many Northern heirlooms, especially of the "German kind." That's how I consider Boxcar Willie. The only one of that kind, which has done relatively well for me here, is Prudence Purple, which I received from Thomas Watson of Charleston, IL; back in 1985. We've been picking Prudence Purple for a couple weeks now, and just the other day my wife remarked to me just how perishable it is. The fruit only last a day or two in our 100+ F kitchen. Most of those German types won't even set a decent tomato here, until fall, if they survive the summer.

Tuxhorns Yellow & Red, which is very similar to Hawaiian Pineapple, will produce here. But during the hot months I have to pick it when it is just barely breaking color, or it too will rot on the vine. Though, the plants themselves are super hardy in this climate. Incidentally, Tuxhorns Yellow and Red makes the BEST fried green tomatoes I've ever eaten. They have more tang than other tomatoes, when cooked green.

I have tomato transplants ready to go out in the garden. Am hoping for a better fall crop. And, I'm trying to keep my spring planted plants alive to produce in the fall. Production cranked up,... for one good picking, and now they are quitting.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• shankins123
    11 years ago

Dear George....why, oh why is the temp. in your kitchen 100+ ?? Is it a lean-to sort of arrangement where that room gets the brunt of the afternoon heat?

Please tell me that other portions of your home are (much) cooler than that, or we're going to have to stage a Gardenweb intervention and come out there to help you out!!
    (not meaning to pry - just concerned)

Sharon

• mwilk42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dawn and George,
    Thanks for the input. I imagine I will strike it off the list for next year. It was just one of those I wanted to try. I must have read some good reviews on it, but I will say that some of the ones that people are crazy for have been ok to meh in my garden. Eva Purple Ball never did much here, Mortgage Lifter did ok, but I didn't think it lived up to the hype. I will say that I had high hopes for Champion2, but I didn't think it was as tasty as regular Champion. it is hard for mr to judge tomatoes this year, since it is a harsh year. I feel they are doing the best that they can under the circumstances.
    It seemed to have a pretty big core that I don't remember Champion having. I will have to rethink my plan for next year. Cherokee Purple did the best it ever has this time. Brandy Boy did well this year too. I shouldn't complain, since all I had last year was 2-3 Sungold plants that produced at all.
    Black from Tula hasn't done a thing. I just HAD to try it since every time I see the name I think "Back from Tulsa". which my son thinks would be an excellent name for a tomato.
    was going to dry some cherry tomatoes tomorrow, but got an email from OGE that elec. will be 46cents per kilowatt hour tomorrow afternoon. I should prob. put them in the back of the car.
    Ya'll stay cool as poss. tomorrow!
    mo

• Macmex
    11 years ago

Sharon,

Thanks for your concern. Now don't freak out! We're not running AC. But we're doing alright. Night times have been really nice. Late afternoon can be a little challenging. My wife, Jerreth, has been either unemployed or under employed since June 2011. My pay alone is rather low. So we choose to do other things with our income. Jerreth starts work, full time, in August. So we hope to start pulling out of the hole soon.

Our home is well designed. The bedroom is always much cooler than the kitchen.

George

• shankins123
    11 years ago

OK...as long as you're not writing in a heat-induced stupor. :~P
    I do understand that tough times call for tough decisions - I'm just sorry that you guys are having to choose other things over being cool(er). Wonderful news that Jerreth will be working full-time in August - may it come quickly for you guys!
    I'm glad that your bedroom is cooler - that's where you need it most so that you can sleep well each night to recharge for your next day.

Sharon

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

George;
    I absolutely understand. Were it not for the kids, we'd do the same. Prayers for you and yours that you all will be safe. A million things come to mind but I assume you already know. Still, it makes me angry. Still, I know it's a growing reality for far too many. I pray we all continue to afford breaking ground and our work be fruitful and prosperous in these difficult times.

• Macmex
    11 years ago

We're doing alright. Actually, we ran the AC yesterday and last night, because we held a church service in our home. Then, we kept it on, to help a daughter who needed to sleep during the day. But I have to admit, when I laid down last night, I kinda wished I could have our "non-AC arrangement," just for the night time. It REALLY agrees with us. Still, during the day time, AC would be a lot nicer.

We'll make it through. Sweat washes off.

George

• shankins123
    11 years ago

Yes....that's pretty much my philosophy of icky things - it'll ALL wash off, in the end :~)

Sharon