Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant Options Needed

Posted by bichonlover3 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 21:10

Hello!
My son (a Navy instructor pilot at Vance) and his new wife purchased a house in Enid, OK. The landscaping is in rough shape. My husband and I live near Palm Springs, CA so all we know is desert planting! we are going to visit the young couple at the end of August to help with their house. Some experts in the Landscape Design have helped with the layout but suggested that I come here to find out what plants I should use to get the desired effect. All suggestions are welcome! Thanks for your help! Here is the link to the design postings.
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/design/msg0700223410530.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant Options Needed

Side view

o

Another side view.

o

What sort of soil do they have? Here in OK we have lots of sandy loam soils that are great, but also lots of dense, compacted clay soils that aren't.

Also, what about the pH of the soil? Parts of Oklahoma have really acidic soils but others have highly alkaline soils. Do you have any idea if your son's place has alkaline soil or acidic soil?

I'd hesitate to suggest plants without knowing about the soil pH and how well the soil does (or doesn't) drain.

Dawn

o

I have no suggestions, but having lived in Enid I can tell you to pick the toughest plants you can. Enid is subject to severe extremes of weather, from heat to ice and hail to flood AND WIND, always wind. Apparently they had an earthquake yesterday, too. Good luck.

o

I can direct you to the Oklahoma Proven Selections. This list is a year or two out of date, but it will give you a place to start. Google Oklahoma Proven and you should be able to get the other two years.

The picture link on the website appears to be up to date.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma Proven

This post was edited by lisa_h on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 15:43

o

I would look at Chinese Pitasche for a large tree. It will give color in the fall and it is a good tree. Tell them to stay away from quick growing trees, ie Silver Maples and Bradford Pears. Everyone and their neighbor plant Bradford Pears, but they are a weak tree and get frequent amputations in our weather (ice, wind).

Crape Myrtles are very popular and are a good small tree/shrub. They come in different heights, so they need to make sure they buy the height and color they want. They can get beat up by the weather and bounce back.

How likely are they to fuss with their landscape? (weed, water, replant, etc.)

o

BichonLover...did you get a chance to look at the links I posted?

o

I didn't answer on your other thread so that it could stay at the top. I don't know any landscape designers in Enid, but hopefully someone will.

If they plan to make it a rental house, I would be very sparing with the landscape. I am surrounded by rental houses and very few of the renters bother to do anything other than mow the grass.

I would think commercial property landscaping: stella d'oro daylilies, maybe a knockout rose, crepe myrtles. Those are all pretty tough plants and will be easy enough to take care of.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here