Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
p_mac

Cowpea Recipe Question

p_mac
12 years ago

Last year I had a GREAT crop of Purple Hulls. As I posted about the last picked batch, Okiedawn piped up with "Don't forget to try some Purple Hull Pea Jelly!" I had already thrown out 6 gallon bags of empty pods, but I saved the last one and made the jelly. Yum!!! A better grape flavor than the stuff you buy at the store! I also found that Whipporwill peas made honey flavored jelly and Lady Peas (aka Cream Peas) made apple flavored jelly. I'm growing both of those this year and I'll report back on the results but now the question....before I throw out some valuable empty pods....Dawn? You listening? I'm asking!!! lol!

Thanks to Owiebrain, I'm also growing Penny Rile peas. They're a pretty, sweet creamy southern pea also. The pods are almost the color of store-bought apple jelly. Can I use these for jelly too? Anyone else ever tried or heard of this?

My peas and beans are out-doing just about anything in my garden and I love that these little sweeties are a multipurpose crop. This can/will surely help in years were we don't get much fruit.

Thanks in advance, y'all!

Paula

Comment (1)