Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cowpea Recipe Question

Posted by p-mac 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 26, 11 at 21:52

Last year I had a GREAT crop of Purple Hulls. As I posted about the last picked batch, Okiedawn piped up with "Don't forget to try some Purple Hull Pea Jelly!" I had already thrown out 6 gallon bags of empty pods, but I saved the last one and made the jelly. Yum!!! A better grape flavor than the stuff you buy at the store! I also found that Whipporwill peas made honey flavored jelly and Lady Peas (aka Cream Peas) made apple flavored jelly. I'm growing both of those this year and I'll report back on the results but now the question....before I throw out some valuable empty pods....Dawn? You listening? I'm asking!!! lol!

Thanks to Owiebrain, I'm also growing Penny Rile peas. They're a pretty, sweet creamy southern pea also. The pods are almost the color of store-bought apple jelly. Can I use these for jelly too? Anyone else ever tried or heard of this?

My peas and beans are out-doing just about anything in my garden and I love that these little sweeties are a multipurpose crop. This can/will surely help in years were we don't get much fruit.

Thanks in advance, y'all!

Paula

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cowpea Recipe Question

Paula,

I've never heard of it and never tried it, but why not try it and see what happens? Since the other southern peas make great jellies, I think there is a good chance the Penny Rile peas will too.

Check out the comment on the recipe I've linked below where they suggest that combining several specific types of peas gives you a plum flavor. I'm sure someone figured that out by experimenting and giving it a try just to see "what if?". So, I say....what if?

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Hull Jelly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here