Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ugly envasive vine with thorns

Posted by okmike (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 26, 09 at 22:42

I live outside of OKC, and have a few blackberry bushes that are covered with an envasive vine with thorns.

What is it and how do I get rid of it, ebay? craigslist?

Help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ugly envasive vine with thorns

are the leaves kind of spotted? I don't know what it is, but I get it also. I just dig it out. Grabbed ahold of one today by accident, man they hurt!

o
RE: ugly envasive vine with thorns

It sounds like one of the species of Greenbrier (Smilax sp.).

Look at the images linked below and see if any of them resemble it.

We have several kinds of them growing wild here in our woods, and occasionally the come up in the garden.

It is hard to dig up because the roots are very large and can run very deeply.

You can kill it by pruning it back hard, waiting until a couple of new leaves sprout, and then painting a chemical stump killer onto the new growth. You may have to reapply several times.

The first few years after we moved here, we spent every winter removing this stuff from our woods. It had been growing wild there for decades and the vines at the ground were almost as big around as my wrist and were more like trees than vines. We used the chain saw to cut through them.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Assorted Images of Greenbrier

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here