Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

Still putting food up...

mulberryknob
11 years ago

even though I said I was through. Today put 11 pints of tomatoes in the freezer and have two large cookie trays full of roasted, cut and floured okra freezing. I will put it into a gallon bag after it freezes for fried okra next winter.

Well, DH and I were disappointed in the Kiwano, or African Horned Melon. We let one turn orange and cut it, but the inside was full of hard seed, like an overripe cucumber without much usable pulp. I guess if you had a bunch of them ripe at once, you could scoop out the seeds and pulp, press through a colander and get something out of it, but I won't be raising them again. The DTM is too long. There are probably 20 fruit out there is varying sizes, but I'm not going to water them anymore. The flavor was nothing to rave about. Kind of a sour cucumber flavor. Not bitter, kind of lemony.

I would rather have cucumbers and Armenian Cucumbers which are a bit more heat tolerant than regular cucumbers. I still have finger size Armenians out there and will go on watering them for a while. The regular cucumbers have given up and been pulled out.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz