Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Still putting food up...

Posted by mulberryknob z6OK (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 22:56

even though I said I was through. Today put 11 pints of tomatoes in the freezer and have two large cookie trays full of roasted, cut and floured okra freezing. I will put it into a gallon bag after it freezes for fried okra next winter.

Well, DH and I were disappointed in the Kiwano, or African Horned Melon. We let one turn orange and cut it, but the inside was full of hard seed, like an overripe cucumber without much usable pulp. I guess if you had a bunch of them ripe at once, you could scoop out the seeds and pulp, press through a colander and get something out of it, but I won't be raising them again. The DTM is too long. There are probably 20 fruit out there is varying sizes, but I'm not going to water them anymore. The flavor was nothing to rave about. Kind of a sour cucumber flavor. Not bitter, kind of lemony.

I would rather have cucumbers and Armenian Cucumbers which are a bit more heat tolerant than regular cucumbers. I still have finger size Armenians out there and will go on watering them for a while. The regular cucumbers have given up and been pulled out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Still putting food up...

I planted Armenian cucumbers last year and like them better than any fresh cucumbers I have eaten. I did not plant any this year because I had volunteers that came up in the lawn and I just moved them to the garden. I have one plant growing in a gravel pile.

Larry

o
RE: Still putting food up...

I put up a temporary fence and turned the chickens into the area where my cucumbers were. They served me well and I made lots of pickles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here