Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattiejack

Southwest OK fall gardening

pattiejack
15 years ago

We live south of Lawton, OK and were wondering if a fall garden is successful in this area. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Pattie

Comments (5)

• scottokla
    15 years ago

Hi Pattie.

I see that nobody has answered yet, so I'll just say to look at some of Dawn's recent posts about fall gardening. She is south of Ardmore, so her posts will usually apply to you also.

Good luck.

Scott

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Scott,

Between the two of us, we are going to drive Pattie nuts. She and I had already communicated via private e-mail which, of course, you did not know. And, Pattie HAS read the stuff I've written about fall gardening, but she and I both think that fall gardening MAY BE significantly more difficult in her area's semi-desert location.

I suggested she post her question here in the hope that Windsurfgirl or Tomatomanbilly or Sheepie (or any other western OK gardeners), could tell her about their experiences with veggie gardening in that region from mid-summer through the first frost. I believe that part of the state has significantly sandier, drier soil that has a hard time holding enough moisture and I know they tend to have significantly less rainfall AND lower humidity than we have here in southcentral OK.

Pattie, Hang in there and I am sure Lynn or Billy or Bessie will see your questions and respond.

Dawn

• pattiejack
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Scott & Dawn. I'm not really arid here just a little drier & hotter than Ardmore. We've decided to try a small plot with a variety of veggies and see how they do this year. If we get it done I'll post my results. thanks again.

• Lynn
    15 years ago

I've not had much luck with a fall garden at my place. I'm in western OK near Clinton. It just seems to stay too hot and dry to get anything started for fall. But I must confess that I don't try too hard. By the time August is starting I'm getting tired of fighting the heat and dry weather and am ready for a break.

Let us know how your plot does Pattie.

Lynn

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Hi Lynn!

Well, we are probably somewhat cooler and more humid than y'all are and by the time August gets here I am BEYOND tired of fighting the heat and dry weather. Sometimes, in July, I am so tired of it that I say to myself "Just stop it. Stop watering. Stop worrying. Just go ahead and let the heat kill it all and you can stay inside for the rest of the hot weather season." LOL Usually, though, I snap out of it and keep on keepin' on.

Little rain has fallen here and it has been very hot and I am getting pretty cranky! At this point, even the brief period of time I spend outdoors early in the morning harvesting the crops is more heat than I can handle. The older I get, the more the heat bothers me. Even as recently as 6 or 8 years ago, I could stay outside all day every day, but I can't do that any longer.

Dawn