Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cowdiddly

Success -after 5 years Im getting there

cowdiddly
9 years ago

I have been experimenting around with op sweet corns for a few years. I got a version of silver queen close to stable after 4 years op with not to many off types. This year I interplanted this with a OP version call True gold. It is a stablized version of Golden Jubilee bred by Alan Kapular, one heck of a guy and life story. I got good cross pollination and have a bi-color peaches and cream type. I cooked my first ears today and they tasted just what I was after. Old time corn taste nice sweetness without the type 2 diabetes corn syrup taste every one but me seems to prefer today.
Im going to run a fall cross of double red- another of Alan Kapular's creations with either an old variety called Whjipples White or an old one called Buel know for vigor. I am mostly after Nutrition in this cross as the red corn is super high in cancer fighting ayanothicins.
Then next year I hope to possibly cross the SQ/TG f1 with the DR/WW F1 And hopefully get some tri colored red/yelow/white cobs but I do not know if it will grow true to type until I get there.
After that, I am going to select for wind resistant stalk, 6-7 ft with low ears, less tiller, and good cob size with multi- rows.
I still got a few years to go but I hope to make a truly tasty High nutrition pretty colored sweet corn that will breed Op and stand up to this god forsaken Oklahoma wind that the world can enjoy. I don't even know what I will call it. Maybe Freedom. As in Freedom from GMOs. And if any one from Monsanto is reading this Pound sand. My corn is grown 3 miles from the nearest corn and if any of your stinkin BT pollen gets in my crops and years work and causes damages please feel free to promptly get it removed.

This post was edited by cowdiddly on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 0:05

Comments (2)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio