Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

So close....

mulberryknob
11 years ago

but nothing for us. Stilwell got rain. It's 8 miles as the crow flies. My daughter, 15 miles away got .6in while I was at her house this afternoon. I think it's our turn next.

Comments (13)

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

I understand how ya feel. We are on the outskirts of the storm clouds passing by. Cooled down but no rain. Still gently cloudy. One can hope....

bon

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

No rain here yet either, but our best chances all along have been for Monday or Tuesday. I'm not holding my breath while waiting for it to fall. I've watched the radar all weekend, and the rainshowers sure have been hit and miss type showers.

I was hoping y'all would get some rain out of all of this.

At least the cooler air is nice, though the higher humidity is not.

• Macmex
    11 years ago

Jerreth and I "stepped out" for a couple hours, to visit a friend. We received an inch of rain. We had a batch of chicks, in a cage, out under some trees. They were not prepared for rain, as it hadn't rained for so long. About half seemed dead by the time we got home. Fortunately, they revived with some extra heat.

I hear that Lost City received some really strong wind with their rain; which blew down one building and uprooted at least one tree.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

We have received 1.25" so far. I hope to start broccoli soon. I may through out some kind of seed for a green manure crop, which may be peas or buckwheat.

Larry

• mulberryknob
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We're not counting on it. DH is out this morn dragging a loooong hose out to the fruit trees and just letting it run for 1/2 hour at a time. He got tired of lugging 4 gallon buckets out two at a time and it wasn't enough anyway.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Thunder woke us on Saturday and we could hear it off and on all day, but we only got a sprinkle of rain although we were in the donut hole all day. Shortly before dark last night, we finally got rain. It rained hard but for a very short time. We are still waiting for a nice drenching rain.

• miraje
    11 years ago

We got a whopping 0.02" here. The rain seemed to be forming in a circle around OKC and Norman all day, and we got hit by a tiny shower at the very end. Our closest Mesonets (Chickasha and Washington) got a fair amount, but not us. I'm not optimistic that we'll see rain again here anytime soon. :/

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

"I'm not optimistic...." I'm with you on that, miraje. We could smell the moisture in the air but it never fell. I think that's it until fall!

bon

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

I'm about to stop believing rain even exists, and we've only gone a month without it.

It has to rain sooner or later. I just think it is likely to be later rather than sooner.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Larry, You are making me jealous. Our Mesonet reading is .04 for the month of July. I get a 'tad' more than that but not a lot.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

We had two rain showers tonight and I was afraid the storms were more lightning/thunder than rain, but then we ended up with 7/10s of an inch in the rain gauge.

I know why it rained tonight. It rained because I had just spent hours watering the chaste tree with the soaker hose because its leaves were drying up, curling and dropping off. I knew if I watered the tree, it would rain but that if I did not water the tree, it wouldn't rain. Since the soil in the root zone had cracks in it, I watered, but I had to turn the soaker hose off every so often to let the water soak in and then turn it on again. Otherwise, the water ran off. I hope that means the 7/10s of an inch that fell all soaked in to the ground near that tree since the ground was already moist.

Carol, I hope y'all get a good rain soon. I don't know how much the 7/10s of an inch helped the plants, but it sure improved my mood. We started harvesting the mid-season corn today, and the late-season corn is just now silking, so the rain and the cool down could not have come at a better time even though the cool down won't last long.

Dawn

• mulberryknob
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After spending hours with the water running on the orchard Monday, we also got rain Tuesday--a whole 2/10ths inch. Oh well, the trees are watered for a while anyway.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

I hate it when that happens, and it happened to both of us. Tim told me after the rainfall that he was happy because the water appeared to soak into the ground under the trees instead of ponding or puddling or running off. I told him that it was because I had 'primed' the soil by running the soaker hose.

Some of the cracks in the ground in the yard closed up after the rain, but the ones out in the pastures where we never, ever irrigate didn't budge a single bit.