Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

rain!!!!!!

elkwc
11 years ago

For the last 2 hours we have had several nice showers. I checked just after nine and we had 3 tenths but have had several heavy showers since. I will check in the morning. Still some to the west and they say good chances through all of tomorrow into Tuesday. Was nice that the temps were a little lower today. But was humid. With the temporary cooldown and the predicted rain on the way and with the sweet corn being within 7-10 days of being done I went ahead and finished most of my planting this weekend. Will put in one more succession planting of cukes and squash. I wanted to finish a few weeks ago but knew I couldn't keep up with watering while I still had the onions and sweet corn to water. Most of the Red Cabernet and Candy onions have fell over and will be ready to pull this week. I have a few Candy still standing strong. The rest I have growing are showing no signs of falling over and maturing. They have started bulbing up. They have as many as 14-15 leaves. The most I've ever had on any onion. Will see how that translates to size. Hope everyone receives some rain during this cool down. Jay

Comments (18)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Hooray for the rain. You sure need it there. I hope you get a lot more.

If the leaves on your onions are any indication, you should have some nice big onions.

• Macmex
    11 years ago

We received an inch of rain yesterday afternoon. It also cooled down considerably, though, as already noted, the humidity was something else.

Just before lunch I went out and dug a hole, in a place with hard pan. I needed to bury a rabbit (domesticated) which had died, and I decided to break up some hard pan while doing it. The hole didn't need to be that large.

At that hour the sun was strong and temps were at 100 F. I about didn't finish that hole! I'd swear I was SQUIRTING sweat with every movement of the mattock or shovel! Didn't feel quite right again, until temperatures cooled with the rain.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• elkwc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just went out and dumped 9 tenths from one gauge. I'm going to have to move my other gauge. Tree limbs have grown enough this summer to where they are covering it.
    Dawn I'm thankful for every drop we received. They have lowered our chances for today from 60% to 50% and tonight to 30%. Then they have a chance for this weekend and early next week in the forecast with the highest temps in the low 90's. That makes me feel better about my decision to go ahead and plant more. I fed the cats while I was out. Even the old toads are happy this morning. Did find my first Septoria Sat. Removed the limbs & leaves yesterday. Will spray it will Daconil and watch it. It is the heirloom from Burrell's and has set even during the heat. If I see anymore I will remove it. Hoping I might be able to control it. Jay

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

We have now received a total of 2 1/4" of rain for this month, the wettest month since early spring, and it is still raining. I bought cow pea seeds today to plant for green manure crop, may be able to even eat a few peas from them.

Larry

• kfrinkle
    11 years ago

We have about 1/2 inch here in Durant. What a treat for July!!!

• p_mac
    11 years ago

Ditto on the almost half inch! Reporting from rural NE Norman!!!

It was glorious!

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

Not a drop here. I can't complain as we've been under most all the rainfall that hit Oklahoma since spring. Still could use some more, though.

• MiaOKC
    11 years ago

NW OKC - got 4/10s at my house in two separate showers, one about 7pm and one overnight. It's not much, but we'll take it!

• biradarcm
    11 years ago

We got just 1/10s!!!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Jay, I bet you're catching that septoria early enough to control it. I had a lot of it in either 2009 or 2010 and didn't actually lose many plants to it. They looked awful, but they kept making fruit that was just fine.

I am happy for all of you who received rain.

We had rain falling to our south, north, east and west and even in some parts of Love County (miniscule amounts, though). At our house we received a big fat 0.00". It's okay though. Our deeper soil moisture for the trees and all is good because we had rain a month ago. The upper soil moisture is non-existent. Everything is turning brown and crunchy, but it still is much better than last year. I am increasingly worried about grass fires. I don't think we're going to have a big outbreak in our county this week, but if we go another couple of weeks without rain, it could get bad pretty quickly.

The cooler temperatures are so nice even without the rainfall, although the humidity is uncomfortably high.

The garden continues to produce on minimal irrigation for the peppers, corn, squash, okra, beans and melons. It has been a long time since I've had beans produce this well in the heat. We still have a chance of rain here today, but after having it go around us on the preceding days, I don't have high hopes it will find us today.

I'm going to link the available soil moisture map. You sure can tell from looking at it which areas have received good moisture lately.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Available Soil Moisture at 4

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

We are up to 3.7"for July. This is sure not a normal July, but nothing else has been normal either (not sure I know what normal is).

Larry

• sheri_nwok
    11 years ago

Well.....we received 1.97" since midnight!!! Looks like the counties around us weren't as fortunate this time. We were 634 on the KBDI yesterday and it hasn't changed yet, I'm hoping it just hasn't updated yet.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Sheri, Your rainfall likely won't be reflected for another day or so, but then you should see a decent drop in your KBDI. I'm excited for you that y'all got so much rain.

Larry, There is no normal here anymore. Everything seems to be extremes....no rain at all or too much at once, for example. Maybe all this rain will give your fall garden a chance to produce well.

Dawn

• kfrinkle
    11 years ago

Wow, we got another inch tonight. Someone forgot to tell mother nature that it is mid-July.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

After I gave up on even the idea of rain falling, it clouded up and we had rain twice within about an hour. The first storm brought more than the second one, and the two together gave us 0.70". That's not bad for July, but I am greedy and want more.

We usually get an inch or two in July, but I don't think we did last year.

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

Just got back home from Albuquerque, where it rained some almost every day. My daughter doesn't have a rain gauge... but really doesn't need one either. I don't think they got as much as was/is in my rain gauge right now.

I have 3/10 of an inch... to show for being gone since Saturday the 30th of June.

Moni

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Moni,

I bet the rain was nice in Albuquerque. How was your visit with your daughter's family?

That 3/10s isn't much for a week-and-a-half, but maybe you got a little more and some of it evaporated before you returned home. At least we can hope that's the case. Any rain is good, but all of us need more.

Dawn

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

rain!!!!!! Aaaaaaah Glorious. Just started and the ground is at least saturated for the next few minutes. Radar shows the storm just developed right over us. Shewt, it's been so dry it was my four year old that noticed tiny sprinkles as if it were some foreign substance. She entered the house screeching, "It's raining!"

bon