Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borderokie

atris pepper

borderokie
10 years ago

Planted 2 atris peppers this year for stuffing. made my first stuffed chile peppers today. One of them is doing pretty good and producing quite a few peppers the other I see a few. I also dont think they are getting as big as the ones the guy brought to the greenhouses to show us last year. Or maybe I'm getting itchy and pickin them too soon. Larry you planted some how big are the peppers. Guess I should just be glad they have some on them but man it would be easier to stuff them and wouldnt take near as many if they were bigger. The plants look good maybe too much nitrogen? I am not good with peppers!!!

Comments (6)

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

My Atris did not do well. They were pretty well rootbound and are still recovering. They may produce for fall. My cabbage and onions did pretty well, everything else seems to be dragging its feet.

I went for more mulch this morning. Between the hot ground, insects and rabbits, I may be fighting a loosing battle.

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I put mine in the ground a couple of weeks before you got yours. My boss said they got really big in her garden last year. Just wondered if there might be something I needed to add to my soil.

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Sheila, have you had a soil test? I think most of the soil around here has a pretty high mineral count but the PH may be off a little. I feel organic matter is the most important soil amendment that I have access to.

My soil test in Feb. showed P at 170ppm, K at 271 ppm in my north garden, and P at 239 ppm, K at 324 ppm in my south garden. Those readings are above optimum but the plants grow well.

I had read about some test at the Kerr center that showed P and K both running a little low, but that I farther from you than I am and I expect the things you are in more need of this time of the year is water and organic matter.

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No I have not tested which I know is stupid. I just keep trying to improve soil with worm poo and compost. Been watering some. Don't fertilize much trying to go more organic. Probably need to get some garden tone.

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong with organic. I had rather have it composted, but much of mine is not. When I was young I would catch grass clippings and other organic matter and compost properly, but that is too much work for an old man. I often just till the grass clippings in as I catch them or just pile them and let them rot.

I may be blind, but I don't see anything wrong with your plants, matter of fact I think they look very good. The peppers are large. My Atris has not even bloomed. I need to mulch both plants, and maybe feed them a little. I did not have a place to put any of the pepper plants I bought, I just stuck them here and there. The ones that are doing the best are the ones that are getting some shade, and of course they all went into less than prime soil.

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well the peppers still arent as big as they should be but maybe I'm itchy and pick them too soon. I may have goofed up but added some composted chicken poo to them today. And I like the chile rellanos so well that I planted 4 more of them today. Probably too late but I will try them anyway. You were talking about them being root bound Larry. My boss is just now planting his peppers. He plants stuff way late and with roots that are way overgrown and he gets more off of his than I do babying and mulching and doing all the junk I do. So in theory I see it making a difference but he sure could prove it wrong. Beats me every time. Maybe he just has the magic touch.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional